ES -AOA HELP

willow taylor willowjonbardc at juno.com
Fri Mar 2 11:03:45 PST 2001

Dear Milord

Did you ever get your  question answered? While I know that is very
dangerous to play the game for awards. The SCA is based on  a  medieval
world and that was very badly organized. I was in the organization for
12 years before I got an award and that was the highest you could at that
time. Crazy. But wanting to worthy of an award is always a worthy goal.
One of the keys of getting any award high or low is doing more at a
higher level

The first thing to do in producing more is looking the  part. There is
stage were we go from looking like a fringe member to someone who is
serious about the game. Wearing sneakers and  going by your mundane name
doesn't make you appear like a serious member. The nobility uses the
awards to reenforce good traits. When  we dress  right and keep  our
mundanities, both  physical  and  verbal, to  a minimum  and do  the
courtesies  we  show  traits that  the  leadership would like  to
encourage.

 Help the community fulfill its goals. This use to be easier because we
were  recreating pre- seventeenth century events. Then anything you could
do to build atmosphere would get  you noticed. Now we are more goal
-business related. Helping with the basics is good. Work with the group.
Help out  in  times of need. Produce things  that  add to the beauty  of
the  events.  When I  said  beauty I  mean  both of the eye  and  spirit.
Do promote atmosphere. Beautiful campsites add  to fun of events and the
courtly person is still appreciated.

Help  people. One  of  the ongoing  jobs  is the  taking  care of  the
new people. Help them  fit  in  and be  successful. Don't be afraid  to
take them  to  older  members and  higher  ranking people. Liaisons  are
needed  being the high  ranking people and the new people.  At  the same
time you will be building rapport with  people. I don't  mean brown
nosing  but  if someone doesn't know  you  they can't suggest  you for an
award.

Christ said to the Christians "Don't  hide your  light under a bushel"
and I say  the same thing. Don't hide. Many people are subconsciously
afraid  of getting recognition, They seem to hide behind the scenes  and
behind  bad clothes  and blatant  mudaneity.. They never address people
by  their titles and  they always seem to bringing the mundane up. All of
these things are  signals that you don't want to take  a mainstream part
in the organization. Getting an award would  make you  mainstream. Many
nobles subconsciously  take these cues and signals to mean you don't want
awards. You need to make it clear, by your cues and signals that you are
ready and  willing to step  up to the next stage.

Duchess Willow de Wisp