ES - Tales of the War.

Marsh, Vicki MarsV at chisd.com
Thu Mar 22 09:07:11 PST 2001

Xene here:

Well, it was raining all the way to Mississippi, and I'm very glad that we
stayed Sunday night in Vicksburg.  A couple of tornados got very close to
Hattiesburg - I heard that one touched down there - but we were fine where
we were.  Monday morning, we woke up and watched the weather channel,
listening to the reports of all the rain and hail hitting the site.  I took
the boys swimming in the indoor pool and we left the hotel at the last
minute for the 11:00 am checkout.  We had eaten breakfast there at the
hotel.  I always try to get reservations at places with the "free"
breakfasts.  It can really save money when you have a large group.

Anyway, we took our sweet time getting to site, arriving there about 3:00
pm.  We had just enough time to set up camp before dark. We discovered that
dark arrives at 6:00 pm there and sunrise is about 6:00 am. Part of our
stuff didn't arrive until much later, 'cause it was on the Baronial truck.
They had stayed Sunday night in Longview because Daniel and Siobhan's van
had a flat tire, then the battery went dead.  Caelin, Daniel, and the truck
showed up, and everyone pitched in to help unload it. With lots of help,we
finally got set up and went to sleep.

Tuesday was beautiful. Fearghus and I started the day with a chariot race in
our electric scooters.  It was fun, and like the war, a tie! (Oh, yes, I
forgot to mention that I spent the war on crutches or in a scooter due to a
torn achilles tendon in my right ankle). Mostly, we shopped and visited with
friends.  Llywelyn went off fighting - Rapier, I think.  Arnbjorn and I
worked the 12 - 3 shift with security and I drove left-footed all around the
site.  We then prepared dinner for our group, ate until we were stupid and
sated, then fell asleep.  Sam helped a lot in the kitchen, especially at
breakfast.  Tuesday night had lots of partying going on across the road in
the Middle Eastern Encampment, but other than cruising the main drag in my
scooter, I didn't party much.  The Steppes caravan arrived, and we helped
with the unloading and setting up.

Wednesday was also pretty and we did lots of shopping.  Wednesday night, the
cold front came in and we hunkered down for the night.  It started pouring
down rain and the wind kicked up, but not too bad.  We hadn't staked down
the doors on three sides of our tent, and we hadn't put down the black
plastic that we got for the floors, so the rain came into our tent on the
sides.  Honour and Arnbjorn had already dug trenches around our tents, which
really helped.  Llywelyn had to go to a commanders meeting and sat, grumping
and pouting silently about the rain until he finally went to the meeting.
It was a good thing that he left early.   Arnbjorn cried for me from the
next tent over that their tent was leaking.  I went over, and moved all
their stuff from the edges of the tent and about then a huge clap of thunder
scared us all.  Come to find out later that it was on site, hitting a tree
and jumping through a tent where three people were sitting or standing.  It
was up by the equestrian arena.  They were ok, but the bolt burned a hole in
their tent, made all their muscles very sore, and one lady lost the feeling
in one side of her body for awhile.  The next day, they were all fine, just
wierded out by it!!

Anyway, Llywelyn came back to the tent, the rain stopped, and I had been
able to keep our bed and most of our stuff dry.  Fortunately, I had
Scotchgarded the Arthurian's Commanders' cloak.

The rest of the week had beautiful, clear weather until Saturday, when it
was overcast and downright cold.

Thursday, I shopped some more, worked a 3 hr Chirurgeon shift for a battle,
then Arnbjorn and I worked another 3 hour shift in security - nothing major
happened, but it is the *best* way to see the site in the golf carts.  Part
of the time, we watched the Ravine battle from the other side and carried
water back and forth for the Resurrection point/waterbearers.

Thursday night, I went to the Clan Caladh party during the torchlight Chess
tournament.  I left after discovering that trying to get around in a scooter
amongst a tightly packed group of inebriates was more work that fun.  I went
off and inbibed in some of Polydore's wonderful Gryffon's Gold, but a little
of my drink ran down the steering column of my scooter.  Well, it died right
there, but fortunately, I was in front of our encampment and didn't have to
walk very far.  Philippe had taken the boys shopping with him and they were
all in bed, sacked out by the time I got back to camp.  I went to bed rather
grumpy and Llywelyn was at the Commander's meeting.

Friday, I girded on my best Laurel armor and went to Bede Hall to negotiate
the A & S rules for the new treaty with Stella.  The Gulf War Schedule said
we had to be there at 8:00 AM for breakfast, so off we went.  Security was
kind enough to give me a ride there and back.  The meeting wasn't actually
supposed to start until 9:00, and the coffee wasn't ready.  It wasn't
pretty, with grumpy, sleepy Laurels growling and fussing.  And that was just
Stella and myself!! Once they fed us and gave us coffee and Laurel "goodie"
bags, we were much better.  Mistress Ariella did an excellent job as the
Gulf Wars Liaison.  We hashed through the judging forms, worked on the
wording, compromised on many things, and generally got a lot of things
decided.  Each Kingdom is so different, and has so many different
traditions, that it is hard to find a middle ground sometimes, but we did.

After the meeting, someone asked Mistress Ariella how long did the meeting
take and she said "Four Years", in reference to all the work leading up to
this meeting.  That day was four hours, and I was surprised when they broke
it up.  I thought it would go on for at least another two hours after they
passed out the chocolate.

That afternoon, I stayed in camp having a pity-party, because my scooter was
dead and I wasn't able to get around.  After the Field Battles, a wonderful
group of friends came into my tent - Ramon stretched out on the floor,
Ceinwen massaged my tired shoulders, Llywelyn went in search of the
operators manuel for the scooter, Crandall and others visited with me.  It
made me feel loved and appreciated.  After they all left and Fearghus loaned
me his phone, I called the scooter shop and they told me where a plug was
that might have gotten the liquid on it.  Sure enough, I pulled the plug and
was able to clean it with Alcohol swabs from Timothy and Anezka.  It didn't
start that day, but worked the next day.  I decided to be productive instead
of self-absorbed, so I shined our coronets, Stella's coronet, and the
Baronial ones.  I also shined Llywelyn's gorget and Arnbjorn's new fillet.
Once you get your hands dirty with that "Never Dull", you might as well
shine everything in sight.  We had a marvelous seafood dinner by Pyro and
Caelin, then went to Ansteorran Court.  It was cold, but the King gave a
long rousing speech and a few awards.  HRH Larissa presented a gentleman
with a necklace in thanks for his self-sacrificing protection of HRH Duncan
during a battle.

Saturday, I was determined not to miss the fort battles, so I hobbled (yes,
I was being stupid and stubborn) to the field.  I got to see Sir Axel get
killed by an Elfsea Ballista Bolt (that's what he gets for fighting on the
wrong side!).  I got to watch Ameline and Armand work together on the
ballista.  I got to see the Crown announce that Baron Ulstead would be made
a member of the Chivalry.  He is a good man and a well-respected fighter.  I
also got to see Llywelyn be given a Sable Falcon for his prowess and
leadership upon the field of Chivalry.  The King's Battle Ribbon was given
to the War Company of Bryn Gwlad for their effectiveness and cohesion in
battle.  Duke Kein and Sir Pendaron have done well leading their troups, and
their heraldry on their tabards is well done, too!!

Saturday night, we packed up and went to a motel in Hattiesburg.  We left
bright and early Sunday morning and arrived home about 4:00 PM.

It was a great war.

Mistress Xene Theriane

p.s. you have my permission to publish this elsewhere.