ES - Hospitaller stuff

The Crocker Family james.crocker at verizon.net
Thu Mar 1 10:50:15 PST 2001

Christine Huse wrote:

> Other thoughts...
>
> 1) Could we just give a simple t-tunic to new members to keep, just to get
> them started? I know after War is over that some do not use thier old tunics
> again and they are going to waste in someone's closet. Could we set up a
> cloth budget to buy material for tunics for new people? The reason why I
> ask, getting started in the SCA can be expensive for those on a strict
> budget and a simple thing like a piece of garb can convey to the new person
> that they are in fact welcome.
> <snip>

> 3) Could we get volunteers to help stay with a new person when they attend
> their first event, if the Hospitaler can't make that event?

Now, as a Hospitaler for Bryn Gwlad, I did all of these things on a regualr
basis.  I remember not attending classes and such at events because I wanted to
MAKE SURE that the newcomer was at ease.  If he/she was interested in A&S, then
that is where we spent our time.  I would be more than happy to be with a
newcomer at an event.  I will be at the NTIF and at Lindesfarne.  If there are
any newcomers going to either, please let me know.  I can be reached at
james.crocker at verizon.net or at 817-220-8282.  Please call between 10am and 10pm
any day of the week.  I am a prego stay-at-home mom and am in desperate need of
a project.  I love helping newbies.  I think Hospitaler was my favorite job.  If
there is someone new out there that needs help or has questions, I will be glad
to help any way I can.

Yours in the Dream,

Cait O'Hara