ES - Brigade?

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:27:13 PST 2001

Regarding the Brigade question I introduced, Baroness Alessandra of Elfsea
had some questions:

>1. Would it be a good idea to use the Central Regional Warlord as the
>brigade "leader", or perhaps someone under him/her?

To start, sure - it would make transition easier.  Or no, depending on what
the troops would prefer.

>2. What sorts of things would be accomplished with a brigade structure?
>More uniform commands, a way of identifying who has leadership "authority"?

Yes.  <chuckle>  What I'm hoping to accomplish is three things:

1.  A uniform set of commands with a uniform response to each
2.  Awareness of the commanders of each unit on the part of every member of
the brigade
3.  Training together to get the comfortable feel for each unit and what
they can do.  Ideally, that awareness should be in everyone's heads, not
just the commanders'.

Right now, I have some feel for Elfsea's capabilities and preferences, a
very good feel for the Fray's, and no feel at all for Finn Ruadh.  I want to
reduce the amount of guesswork, and improve communication between the units
within the Central region.

Training together, partying together, discussing techniques and plans
together - we'll all get to know what to expect from each other, and be able
to trust one another without having to worry about battlefield surprises.

>3. Who could apply for the position and how would s/he be selected?

Well, that depends on how we work it out.  We're completely free in our
choices.  Some possibilities:

1.  Election by the troops
2.  Election by the unit commanders
3.  Recommendation of choices to the Crown, from which the Crown selects
4.  Lottery
5.  "Spin the bottle"

Obviously, the last two are facetious - though they're sort of close to what
we'd get if we use a tourney as our basis for selection.  Being able to win
a tourney means nothing in terms of ability to lead a brigade in battle.

Any other possibilities?  What do y'all think about these possibilities?

Dux