ES - Brigade?

Marsh, Todd W. ToddMarsh at SierraSystems.com
Mon Mar 26 07:23:13 PST 2001

Wow, that brigade commander sounds like a great guy.  I'd like to meet him.
:)

Obviously, I agree that it would be a good thing to have ongoing war
leaders.  I was glad to hear that the rest of the kingdom is talking about
it now, also.

Llywelyn

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-elfsea at ansteorra.org [mailto:owner-elfsea at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of Mordock von Rugen
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 12:59 PM
To: elfsea at ansteorra.org; steppes at ansteorra.org;
fray-ansteorra at yahoogroups.com; glaslyn at ansteorra.org
Subject: RE: ES - Brigade?

Hmmm.  Actually, the "test" idea wasn't really all that serious, either.

A brigade commander will not be commanding a bunch of troops he doesn't
know.  Moreover, a test with 5-7 guys doesn't test much other than his
ability to command 5-7 guys against a like number.  A brigadier needs to
know much more, and have an entirely different set of skills.

I would posit that a brigadier needs to know:
1.  something of the history of warfare
2.  something of basic leadership techniques
3.  the strengths and weaknesses of his troops
4.  something of the history of SCA warfare
5.  something of the strengths and weakness of our neighbors

Moreover, his skills are very different from a small unit commander.  He
should have the following capabilities:
1.  ability to lead (note that this is different from ability to command)
2.  ability to "read the field"
3.  ability to "read the troops", both enemy and friendly
4.  ability to keep the big picture in mind, despite the chaos around
him/her
5.  strength of character
6.  unstinting honesty, even in the face of embarassment
7.  charisma and the ability to inspire others (note that this is different
from leadership)

Those are all things that simply can't be tested on a field with 5-7 under
his command.  Many are things that can only be "tested" over time.  That's
why I suggest we go with either election by the troops or election by the
commander.  Alternately, recommendation of a commander for the Crown's
approval would be a good option, and would help ensure that the interface
with the Crown was the best we could get.

Well, that's my two cents.

Dux