[Elfsea] Re: Saxon lyre

Theresa Wyatt teebyrd at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 07:18:19 PDT 2001

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain wrote:

> Saxon lyre?  Isn't that misspelled?  And redundant
> besides?
>
> Padraig

   Would it help if you knew the "y" was originally pronounced as a
"u".  Of course I could always show you my research which show Ireland's
beloved triangular frame harp was first developed by the Scandinavians,
English, and Frisians 300 years before it became the symbol of Erin.
Indeed the most famous harp in Irish history had a name which meant "
the quadrangular harmonious one" and was a lyre.

Godspeed,
Cyniric hlafard Cyniwarding
"The Greeks play their cythara, the Romans their Lyre, the Celts their
Rhotta, and the Barbarians their Harp"- some Latin guy I cannot
remember. :)