[Elfsea] Chivalry

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Tue May 29 12:55:40 PDT 2001

Chivalry is a blend of virtues.

Courtesy is not chivalry, but it's an important part of
it.  So is generousity.

Courage is not chivalry, but it's important to chivalry
as well.  Likewise humility.

Truth, honesty, is an important virtue of chivalry.
And so is loyalty, dependability.

Martial prowess is also a chivalric virtue.  So is
faith.  So is strength, both in terms of muscle and in
in terms of health.

Chivalry also includes a virtue that the medievals
called "glory" but in the SCA is perhaps best
termed "showmanship".

Different people exhibit these different virtues in
different combinations.  But I think that to be truely
chivalrous, a person should be continually striving to
improve in all these areas.  No one is ever "chivalrous
enough".

- Galen

Quoting "Daungerous (Donna R. Thompson)"
<daungerous at ev1.net>:

> I also agree with Ceinwen's post.  One of the things
I do to contribute
> (and
> try to teach to my boys) is to send them out with
hammers in hand in search
> of anyone needing help, ladies in particular, after
we have finished with
> our setup. Ok, I confess I am really trying to get
them out of my hair
> while
> I finish the details *_*. But, I will never forget
the help I received at
> my
> first event in setting up my tent, which I had never
done before and had no
> clue how.
>
> Daungerous, who missed her first Warlord in 5 years,
sigh
> Pretty is as pretty does.
> http://www.desertdancer.com

Daylight Time,
> > ceinwenswan at hotmail.com writes:
> >

> > > Chivalry to me is courtesy to it's highest
extreme.  My dictionary's
> > > definition...."the qualities, as bravery and
courtesy, idealized by
> > > knighthood."
> > >
> > > I too am interested in seeing answers to this
post.This brings to mind
> the
> > > first SCA event I attended.  Several gentlemen
offered assistance to me
> when
> > > I was trying to carry things to the list field,
when we were putting up
> our
> > > tent and breaking it down.  Lately, these
courteous acts have been
> lacking,
> > > in my opinion.  And this saddens me, since that
is one of the
> attributes
> of
> > > the SCA that attracted me.
> > >
> > > In service,
> > > Ceinwen~
> > >

> > Well you beat me to it . I was going to say the
same thing.