[Elfsea] Chivalry definitions

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 14:24:16 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
I looked up chivalry on dictionary.com to see if they could help me express my
own definition. They found three, all of which included the words courtesy or
manners.
I was not totally surprised by the "word history" they found. I had overheard
something about this on the equestrian field. I have placed them at the end of
this message.
I experienced a chivalrous act Saturday afternoon. I was hauling my equestrian
toys, chair and other gear back from the equestrian list to my campsite on the
other side of the camp. I had made it as far as the bath house, when I was
stopped by a young man who asked me if he could help. Granted, I was hauling
my gear in my new wagon and being a strong woman, I was having little problem
with it, But it felt very nice to be asked.
Life is good in Ansteorra and sometimes it is even better.

Lady Gabriele Rene' de Bernard

chiv·al·ry (sh(image)v(image)(image)l-r(image))
n. pl. chiv·al·ries

The medieval system, principles, and customs of knighthood.

The qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery, courtesy, honor, and
gallantry toward women.
A manifestation of any of these qualities.
A group of knights or gallant gentlemen.

[Middle English chivalrie, from Old French chevalerie, from chevalier, knight.
See chevalier.]

Word History: The Age of Chivalry was also the age of the horse. Bedecked in
elaborate armor and other trappings, horses were certainly well dressed,
although they might have wished for lighter loads. That the horse should be
featured so prominently during the Age of Chivalry is etymologically
appropriate, because chivalry goes back to the Latin word caballus, “horse,
especially a riding horse or packhorse.” Borrowed from French, as were so many
other important words having to do with medieval English culture, the English
word chivalry is first recorded in works composed around the beginning of the
14th century and is found in several senses, including “a body of armored
mounted warriors serving a lord” and “knighthood as a ceremonially conferred
rank in the social system.” Our modern sense, “the medieval system of
knighthood,” could not exist until the passage of several centuries had
allowed the perspective for such a conceptualization, with this sense being
recorded first in 1765.

Source[1]: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

chivalry \Chiv"al*ry\, n. [F. chevalerie, fr. chevalier knight, OF., horseman.
See Chevalier[2], and cf. Cavalry[3].] 1. A body or order of cavaliers or
knights serving on horseback; illustrious warriors, collectively; cavalry.
``His Memphian chivalry.'' --Milton.

By his light Did all the chivalry of England move, To do brave acts. --Shak.

2. The dignity or system of knighthood; the spirit, usages, or manners of
knighthood; the practice of knight-errantry. --Dryden.

3. The qualifications or character of knights, as valor, dexterity in arms,
courtesy, etc.

The glory of our Troy this day doth lie On his fair worth and single chivalry.
--Shak.

4. (Eng. Law) A tenure of lands by knight's service; that is, by the condition
of a knight's performing service on horseback, or of performing some noble or
military service to his lord.

5. Exploit. [Obs.] --Sir P. Sidney.

Court of chivalry[4], a court formerly held before the lord high constable and
earl marshal of England as judges, having cognizance of contracts and other
matters relating to deeds of arms and war. --Blackstone.

Source[5]: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

chivalry n 1: courtesy towards women [syn: gallantry[6], politesse[7]] 2: the
medieval principles of knighthood

Source[8]: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University