[Elfsea] Pressing topic: New Park for Practices

housedragonstar housedragonstar at prodigy.net
Sat Nov 17 08:15:00 PST 2001

Good point Valentyn.

Back in 1979, I went searching for the local SCA fighter practice.  Would
have joined then if I could have found the thing.  I heard it was in that
park in Arlington.  Then I went from junior college to UTA, and still
couldn't seem to find it and then life took me another direction..(read
really bad first marriage - great kid, just lousy spouse).  Finally, I found
the SCA, eons later, through some friends at a ren-faire.  It took us a year
to get to fighter practice.

So, IF I had been able to find the SCA back in '79, well, I would have had
more things to frame and put on the wall.

So, yes, fighter practice is for the fighters, but it is the only, easily
accessible, regular, no cost (except for gas and time) thing we do in the
SCA.  And it is one of the best ways for people to learn about us and become
part of the family.  Moot is too formal at first, events are too busy.
Fighter practice is relaxed and low key from a newcomer point of view.

Yes, we need to think of all of our concerns and Karrick is right about
archery and Galen's post was right on the mark about how most of us feel
about archery.

And Valentyn is right, there are tons of ways to get serious about the
fighting and the archery.

And Galen, that survey was GREAT.  Thanks for setting it up.

Medb and Daire