[Elfsea] August LoAR

Kate Rayburn anezka at elfsea.net
Wed Nov 7 10:19:17 PST 2001

The August LoAR has just been published and here is the Ansteorran
information of interest to the local populace.  The remainder of the
letter can be seen at http://sca.org/heraldry/loar/2001/08/01-08lar.html
.  Congrats to everyone who got items passed!

In Service,
Anezka

ANSTEORRA Acceptances

Bjorn inn kvensami. Name and device. Sable, on a bend azure fimbriated
between two swords bendwise a sword Or.

	Submitted as Bjorn inn Kvensami, we have changed the
capitalization of the byname to match the documentation.

Elinora inghean ui Ruairc. Name

Geneviève del Gamba. Device. Azure, an increscent within an orle of
fleurs-de-lys argent.

Muriella de Clare. Name and device. Argent, six wolves rampant and on a
chief azure three escarbuncles argent.

	Submitted as Muriella de Claire, no support for the spelling de
Claire was found. Therefore we have substituted the documented form de
Clare.

Seanán mac Tighearnáin. Name and device. Sable, on a pile Or between two
swords in pile argent an anvil sable.

	Submitted as Seanán mac Tighearnán with a request for
authenticity to the 11th C, a Letter of Correction removed the request
for authenticity and corrected the surname to Tighearnáin, putting it in
the genitive case as required by Gaelic grammar. As such, we have left
the name in the late period orthography.

Seburga de Aldebourne. Name and device. Per chevron purpure and sable,
two fleurs-de-lys and a sword Or.

	Submitted as Sibri de Aldebourne, the given name Sibri is
documented as a Latin genitive form of Seburga. In the given name
position, the name must appear in the nominative case. All examples that
we could find of this name in the nominative case contained a "g". As
the submitter allows any changes, we have changed the given name to the
form Seburga dated to 1222 in Reaney & Wilson (p. 397, s. n. Seaber).

William Worm. Device. Gules, a monk's hood Or.

	Possible conflicts were called against Catherine the Merry,
Azure, a fool's cap Or, and Amata Quentin Motzhart, Gules, a jester's
cap lozengy argent and sable. In both cases, a necessary CD must come
from the type of the hat. There is a CD between a monk's hood, and
either a jester's/fool's hat or a jester's hood. Both these latter
charges, according to the Pictorial Dictionary, have tall padded pointed
horns ending with bells and cannot be visually confused with the monk's
hood.