[Elfsea] Practice park list by Drake

RattanCraig at aol.com RattanCraig at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 06:46:52 PST 2001

Hello all,

When I first brought this issue to Raimond and Their Excellencies, I will
admit to some considerable trepidation.  This issue has been very divisive in
the recent past in the Barony of the Steppes.  In addition, during my stint
as Baron of Bonwicke, this issue came up and was the source of some
contention even in that much smaller Barony.  I have been both relieved and
proud that the conversations regarding OUR change have been well-tempered and
constructive.  I think it really exemplifies our unofficial motto, "Life is
Good in Elfsea"!

I have waited almost the entire month, since last Moot, to voice my opinion
on this topic.  Before I brought this issue before the Barony last month I
spent a very considerable amount of time listing and analyzing virtually
every public park in the area.  From this list, I eventually pared down the
number of choices to 10 (based upon proximity to major arteries, lighting,
facilities, parking, attractiveness, ratings on various internet and
newspaper surveys, etc...).  I then personally visited each of these
locations to eyeball the promised facilities and get a feel for them.  Oddly
enough, almost every entry on my list has been discussed on this list.  Here
is my own evaluation of my finalists, after I threw a few out due to unsavory
site visits.  BTW, they are in no particular order.

1.  BJ Stovall Park (South Arlington) --  Although this is a fairly nice
park, there really aren't that many trees.  In addition, it is not very
central to the central areas of the barony, or to where many of the fighters
live.  In addition, there is a semi-official (hey, Galen is the Baron and
there is an open practice at his house) practice quite close to here every
week for those in the far southern region.  I found this park to be nice, but
not as nice as every other park I have heard discussed on this list.  It is
far superior to Randol Mill, but not "as superior" as every other site.

2.  River Legacy Park --  (Arlington, a bit north of Randol Mill)  Not very
actively discussed, but probably the nicest park I visited.  Very busy when I
went there in the evening.  Reminds me a bit of the Gulf Wars site for some
reason.  In a very nice neighborhood.  Called the "crown jewel" of the
Arlington Parks department.  Location not toward the barony population center
(once again, about 5 min North of Randol Mill).  Recruitmant will be
especially good here.

3.  Trinity Park -- Probably the second most wooded/pretty park in most areas
(very large).  Also very busy, with a lot of events happening here.  Will
this decrease available parking?  Recruitment will be especially good here.
Central and more available to LR.  My question is, if we move it here will LR
commit to support it?  They are the largest proponents of this location and,
seemingly, will be the majority of the reason it would move here.  Have heard
several folks speak about safety issues.  Considered the best park in Ft.
Worth by the city.

4.   Veterans Park --  One of the most central parks, although not near a
major artery.  Quite nice but a bit light on trees (although not all that
bad).  Parking will be an issue.  Amtgard meets there on sundays, which will
decrease parking further, but might be fun for recruitment.  It reminds me a
little of a really upscale Randol mill, for some reason.  It is cute and
central.  I hear it is pretty well-attended.  Nice neighborhood and near UTA.

5.  Bedford Boys Ranch -- Nice park with good amenities.  Closer to the 820
and I-30 center that I have heard about and near major arteries.  Decently
close to a lost of the fighting population (including those who have been
going over to Steppes since the trip wasn't that much different from Randol
Mill).  Good for folks who want to come from Steppes to play.  Not as lush as
Trinity or River Legacy.  Busy but good parking.  The northernmost location.

Let me just say that I really don't care where practice is, as long as it is
not at Randol Mill.  I will come to train/fight at any of these locations.  I
really DO think that these are the most logical sites for relocation,
however.  They score toward the top in every category I have listed.  By the
way, one aspect I have not considered is archery.  I really don't know that
much about the different rules and ordinances regarding this issue, and would
leave it to those who are more knowlegable.  A few folks have posted that the
park in my neighborhood were I hold my household practice should be in
consideration.  I disagree.  It is a VERY nice park, but not very convenient
to any major artery.  The previously listed parks are just as nice, but more
convenient.