[Elfsea] Population Figures for FP

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Wed Nov 14 17:32:37 PST 2001

Greetings Elfsea!

For those who do not know, I spent many years as a programmer working in the field of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).  It deals with computer visualization of geographic data.  I've assembled some information and a map for those interested in this discussion to look at.  I've posted this on the web to make it easy for everyone to find.  You can find it at :

www.elfsea.net/fp

As noted on the page, the model is not perfect, but it is a good guide.  In rough description, this is how the data was assembled :

1) The Domesday address list was geo-coded, a process of getting a Lat/Long for every address.  This is not perfect, there are places where it is incorrect, but it is correct in at least 95% of the places I'd say.

2) The park list was then also geocoded.  It contains information for : Vetrans Park, Randol Mill Park, Stoval Park, Trinity Park, and the Bedford Boys Ranch.

3) I calculated a distance from each person in the Domesday to each of the Parks.  This distance was calculated 'as the crow flies', and does not consider roads or traffic.

4) This data was then averaged and otherwise analyzed, as well as mapped.

The most interesting fact is that taking the entire Domesday population, and calculating their distance to any park on the list, and then averaging those numbers results in an 'average' distance for everyone that is within 2 miles for every park mentioned thus far.

I will close this message at this point, and will leave conclusions I draw from the data for another.  If you have any questions about my methodology, please just let me know.

Timothy