[Elfsea] Pressing topic: New Park for Practices

Don Valentyn DonValentyn at JeffTurnerFiction.com
Fri Nov 16 19:09:23 PST 2001

ra.org [mailto:elfsea-admin at ansteorra.org]On
> Behalf Of Rob Macchietto
> Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 7:57 PM

> Second, another question.  How many of us currently playing were
> actually "introduced" to the SCA by seeing a fighter practice at a
> park.  I found out about the SCA from a friend who played.  We keep
> talking about fighter practices as something to recruit new members, but
> do we actually get new members from it?  Personally, I agree with Sir
> Drake (I think it was Sir Drake who said this) "Fighter practice is for
> us [the fighters]"

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Count Drake on this.  :)  Private fighter
practices are for us [the fighters], but public practices have long been a
prime tool for recruiting new members.  I would hazard a guess that in the
Shadowlands (from 90-93) our first contact with new members was at a public
fighter practice at least 80% of the time.  Possibly more.  High visibility,
lots of activity; it naturally draws a crowd.

So, if we're not going to take advantage of the free publicity, why bother
to have fighter practice in the park?  There are plenty of us with backyards
that can fit a good-sized practice, and the bathrooms and water faucets are
far closer.

Valentyn