[Elfsea] "The View" from Mama Mac/Dana

GulesBaron at aol.com GulesBaron at aol.com
Mon Nov 19 16:30:04 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/19/01 11:59:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mama_mac at airmail.net writes:

> Dana, also known as Mama Mac
>
> "More children are spoiled because the parents won't spank Grandma."

Dana, those are all excellent points and I agree with all of them but they
also support my view of holding practice at least a little closer to the east
side than Trinity.  The Loch created a fighter practice because Randoll Mill
was too far.  If the practice goes to Trinity, I will bet that another
practice will be started on the east side and all you will do is trade one
handful of fighters for a different handful that attend the 'official'
baronial practice.  That is not progress.
If we want to turn our practice into a recruiting tool then Trinity is a good
choice, but so are some of the other parks that do not have people adamantly
opposing them.  What I hear people saying is that we are wanting our
practices to be more of a demo rather than a practice.  I agree that the
practice needs to go west a little further because I would like to fight some
of the western fighters a little more often without driving for an hour to
get there (and more to the point an hour to get back). However if we go all
the way to Trinity what is probably going to happen is that the Loch will end
up fighting the people that they normally fight on Saturdays because it is
too far for the easterners to drive. Nothing will be accomplished except a
new group of people will see us at Trinity and maybe generate some
recruitment though I don't see much of that happening either.  In my almost
twenty five years in the SCA I have seen very little successful recruitment
at a practice even when it was held in a mall.
   This brings me to another topic.  I have been going to Randoll Mill park
for the 6 years that I have been here and have spoken to many mundanes about
the SCA but I have been the exception rather than the rule.  I have seen
people standing around and watching us and everybody who was sitting at the
tables continued to sit there.  I have seen Raimon offer info, Galen and
Stella and others when asked but there is not a lot of pro-active recruiting
going on.  This is why I question that one of the motives of this move being
recruitment.