[Elfsea] Re: Galen on the park debate

Colete d'Evreux medievalbelle at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 15:36:49 PST 2001

Well-said Galen!

   Now my turn. Folks, I don't live there at this
present time... but I'm the resident Trimarian
who claims Galen as my baron... he mentioned it.
Alas, Elfsea is my *HOME*. I hope what I have to
say might be taken into consideration as much as
the opinions of those presently living there.
This is as close as I can get to attending Elfsea
moot, in other words.

   I've been a bit delete-button-happy on this
topic, but can narrow down the basics:

   *People want to change to a new park.
   *Not everyone agrees on when/where.
   *Insults were not intended from some but taken
as such by others.
   *This is an issue that must be resloved soon,
but can also wait a little while.

   A point I must bring up... ***it's the holiday
season!*** Perhaps there should be a moritorium
on pushing for change until AFTER the holdidays?!
I'm frazzled, you're frazzled, there's shopping
to be done, trips to be planned, taking the kids
to see Santa at the mall, decking the halls,
deciding if the ever-so-fattening egg nog is
worth the extra pounds, etc.... I'm sure you get
the idea. This is a time when mundane life must
take front seat and I think it's a good idea to
put anything SCA related on the back-burner for
now. SCA politics can wait, believe me! They are
always there, ready to be dealt with.

   Now, when the time comes, there will need to
be some research performed on when's and where's.
Then the decision process needs to take place.
That can be done one of two different ways: #1 in
a democratic vote or #2 Let the baron and
baroness decide. Either way, I have faith that
the right decision will be made.
   Some things to take into consideration:

   *Space/room at the park for all (chivalric
combat, light weapons, youth combat, spectators,
etc).
   *Public visibility
   *Safety for all
   *Local laws
   *Location of the majority of the populace.
   *Accessibilty
   *Hours the park is open.
   *What days?
   *What's traffic like in that area during the
dates and times set for practice?
   *Is the park well known or hidden?
   *What are the surrounding neighborhoods like?

   Wow, the list goes on. Now, as for archery,
that would be *wonderful* to pick up my 2 bows
when I'm a little too exhausted to fight heavy!
Alas, I'm not sure we can have it all. Last I
knew, in most counties of DFW, our types of
archery were considered to be fire-arms due to
the projectile arrows (blunts or no) and thus
outlawed. If this has changed since I moved away
or I'm just dead wrong about it, then please
forgive and correct me. Alas, it's still
something to consider. I know as a mother, I'm
not too keen on the idea of taking my sweet
children to a park to play and find that there
are arrows flying about. Kids run amuck and are
unpredictable... I'd hate to see one venture into
the line of fire. We've had enough puplicity and
teeth grinding over the recent accidents that
inflicted the ABD rules on us. Right?! (One of
the instances was local to me involving a friend
of mine here in Trimaris. Wasn't pretty!)

   My last point and then I'm headed out of the
office... People, get along with eachother! I've
seen alot of nasty back-stabbing in Trimaris that
hasn't left me with the greatest impression of
people here. When I think about it, I can't say
I've seen this nastiness in Elfsea. Sure, we
gossip like grandma's and hiss like cats when
Lady-so-and-so is looking good that day. But
Elfsea has a binding love and respect I haven't
seen anywhere else in the 3 kingdoms I've lived
in. I miss that warmth greatly and would *SO
SERIOUSLY* be heartbroken if I came home to find
that some decision in a weekend hobby group has
torn apart real life people in the here and now.
Now, can we cool our jets, enjoy the holidays,
and take things one step at a time in January?

   Thanks for reading, considering, and taking
your time with this issue.

Au Dieu,
Lady Colete d'Evreux
(Formerlly known as "Vanora, Galen's Little Girl
Squire")

http://www.geocities.com/vanorav

> Galen here...
>
> I'm torn.

=====
SHREK -- Don't Miss OUT!
The year's most popular movie is now the BEST family entertainment available on DVD. With over 7 million copies sold in under a week, quantities are extremely limited. Order yours today at a special price! Click Here!

"It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life."
--Sister Elizabeth Kenny