[Elfsea] Possible classes for the coming year

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:13:44 PST 2001

Cyniric hlafard Cyniwarding does send greetings to the folk of Glaslyn and
the Baronies of Steppes and Elfsea this brisk November day.

  First off I would like to let their Excellencies Fritz and Catrin I am
REALLY glad to be back home. :)

   Okay.  I am trying to gauge some ideas for the coming year for classes.
I love to teach and help people gain new information.  As it is it looks
like I will have to work full-time and put off school for now, giving me
time to get more prepared.  Here are some class ideas I would personally
like to teach.  If anyone is interested, please let me know as I will
probably gauge things on how much interest is generated.  Also if there is
anything you have heard me talk about and would like me to expand upon in a
class or lab, let me know as well.  There maybe things I would be willing to
do at an event, if people will just let me know.

Class ideas:

   Persona workshop and lab:  This will definitely will be done ASAP.  It
will go beyond basic Persona 101 though it does cover this so new people
will be able to, and are encouraged to, attend.  We will discuss and even
practice to an extent how to research, how to make use of maps, and how to
fall into a "general" medieval thought process to make playing the Dream
more rewarding (i.e.: basic period greetings in modern English).  I will
have more specifics in due time.

   Fu-B.A.R.-- "Futhark'd Beyond All Recognition":  A class for writing in
appropriate runes for the time and place of early Germanic and Norse
personas (or those just interested) as well as examples of calligraphic
representations from Cynewulf's and other other manuscripts.  Emphasis on
the script as phonetic, not transcribing, letters as well as some thoeries
on pronounciation.  Will try to provide the means to write names accurately.
  No magical or divinational information-- sorry.

   Germanic Pronounciation:  Possibly part of the above, but could be done
by itself.  A basic teaching of the ways to properly pronounce names and
specific titles in languages such as Old English and Norse.

   Early period armor and making Kingdom-legal armor to match: A laboratory
for early period fighters and armor builders to discuss ideas and research
into arms and armor from the early period (up to and including the Viking
Age) and various ways to make one's armor match the time in which they are
playing.

   I have a few other ideas which need some serious reworking.  These should
be boring enough for now. :)

   Beyond that, I am still wanting to teach an Old English course, one night
a week or ever other week for approximately 14 or so Chapters.  If interest
is small I would be willing to do it on a small group or individual basis as
it would help me as much as I would help you.

Thanks for the bandwidth!

Godspeed,
Cyniric
rbculver at hotmail.com  or