[Elfsea] Parks and more (long)

Joe Pelfrey joepelfrey at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:09:26 PST 2001

Good Gentles,

I would suggest that we revisit the decision deadline that was established
at last Moot.  I know that this isn’t a popular idea, but would caution you
to think that this decision has become larger than what most people
considered while sitting in a meeting.  More people are on line than were
present at the meeting thus creating more opinions and generating more
information.  We have tools and data available to us that were not present
at the meeting (Timothy’s wonderful map and Eleanor’s information from
police departments).

Why are we insisting on pushing this through when the general tone of these
emails is one of dissatisfaction?  Most would agree that we are dissatisfied
with Randol Mill Park, but it is a known problem.  Why not stay with a known
issue, one that has been worked around for years, meanwhile creating an
efficient and comprehensive way for deciding on this change?

There are more factors at work here than just finding a new location.
Looking at Timothy’s map tells us that people outside of the baronial
borders are in the baronial numbers.  We also see that many people outside
of Loch Ruadh’s borders claim affiliation with them.   I think that everyone
should align themselves with whomever they feel most comfortable with, but
decisions involving the Barony should apply to those within it, not outside
of it.

We should also be looking at our relationships with the cantons and college.
  How great of an organization can we create if we use all of our resources?
  An example of how well we have worked with the cantons in the past is with
the Tor.  We replaced our Yule Revel with theirs and it has grown into a
very well attended event that is enjoyed by many people.

Several comments have been made as to if we move this to Trinity or Stovall,
will Loch Ruadh make the commitment to support it.  When I fought heavy
awhile back, there were many fighters from Loch Ruadh as well as the Tor in
attendance.  Shouldn’t we be looking at why we are missing their support?
More importantly, we should be questioning how we support them.

Let’s look for ways to work together instead of making this a north/south or
east/west issue.  This is a baronial issue and should be given greater
importance than can be yielded effectively in 2-3 weeks worth of email
discussion.  Many of you have reasons for rushing this through and have
stated them.  I hope that we will stop trying to meet an arbitrary deadline
and look at our overall picture.  A couple of months of organized effort
will save much heartache.

Peace to you all,

William