[Elfsea] "The View" from Mama Mac/Dana

Donna Wallis mama_mac at airmail.net
Mon Nov 19 12:00:44 PST 2001

As a founding member of one the Cantons in the Barony of Elfsea it's
time I get on my soapbox!

The people on the west side of Fort Worth "chose" to become a Canton
because a Canton is sponsored by a Barony.  Why?  Because Cantons need
Baronial support, if they didn't need this support they would become
Shires!  We chose to remain a part of this Barony! Loch Ruadh has only a
couple of zip codes with-in the 820 loop; we have zip codes mainly south
and west of Fort Worth.  We appreciate the Baron including us on the
survey and giving us the opportunity for our voices to be heard.

When we recruit or people find us our Hospitaler always tells them when
and where our meetings are but also about the Baronial meetings and the
web page.  Does the Baronial Hospitaler do the same? Do the Baronial
officers ever consider (or even try to find out) what is on the Canton's
calendar? Loch Ruadh has always tried not to put things on our calendar
that would conflict with the Barony, which is why most of the things we
do are on Wednesday nights or Saturday afternoons.  As a member of the
Barony, did you know that?  The "only" reason Loch Ruadh put its fighter
practices on Saturday was so we would not conflict with the Sunday
practices of Elfsea. Most of the fighters preferred Sundays, but the
officers at that time would not let this happen.  Believe me when I say
it was really a slap in the face when a few years ago Elfsea's Knight
Marshal put a weekday fighter practice on Wednesday nights considering
Loch Ruadh has "always" had it's populace meeting, bardic, officers
meetings and A&S on Wednesday nights. Not one person in the Barony
proper (let alone officers) at that time ever mentioned the fact that
Loch Ruadh was being completely left out. We were and are a presence at
your Moots, business meetings and events.  When was the last time you
remember Loch Ruadh not being there?  We really appreciated fighter
practice moving to Thursday night; at least our fighters had the
opportunity to attend without missing a Canton meeting. I know they have
been taken off the calendar for lack of attendance but I think Thursday
practices would have picked up closer to the Gulf War with Loch Ruadh
fighters in attendance.

Now for picking a fighter practice site....
My thoughts are "I" don't care where Elfsea has its fighter practices,
that is and should be their decision as a Barony. Ten years ago Elfsea's
fighter practice "was" the weekly social event where people gathered if
they didn't attend an Event. Now if the Barony chooses to move fighter
practice closer to Loch Ruadh's zip codes then I'm sure Loch Ruadh would
attend many more of Elfsea's fighter practices, I know I would. I think
the small number of fighters in Loch Ruadh would appreciate the Barony
moving fighter practice closer, giving them a better chance to fight
different fighters not to mention help and advice from the Knights. Our
non-fighting members support our fighter practices; in fact most of the
time non-fighters out number the fighters at least 3 to 1. I am happy to
report our fighter practices are social gatherings and our non-fighters
would support and follow the fighters of Loch Ruadh.  If the distance to
Elfsea's fighter practice is the same or more than Randall Mill then we
probably will not attend very many.  The Canton tries very hard to
support the Barony. Would it be nice if Elfsea supported our fighter
practice more...darn tootin!!   Are we upset that they don't.... not
hardly! Would we like the Elfsea fighter practice to be closer than it
is now.... darn tootin!!  Will we be upset if it isn't.... not hardly!

We should all have lives that do not revolve around the SCA and have
much more important things to get upset about.  Remember folks...this is
what we do for fun and relaxation.

Climbing
                        n....and if you got this far I thank you.

Dana, also known as Mama Mac

"More children are spoiled because the parents won't spank Grandma."