[Elfsea] canton stuff

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Mon Nov 19 14:56:22 PST 2001

I think it is more correct to say that Loch Ruadh was formed because we were
told that nothing, not a fighter practice, not an A&S night, NOTHING would
be held west of I-35 due to LACK OF INTEREST by the Barony proper.  Of
course, this was back when other people were here that have since moved to a
different kingdom, or no longer play.  Personally, I always wondered was it
merely a personality conflict between the Baroness at the time and some of
the founders of Loch Ruadh, rather than the populace of Elfsea at large.

Things were not very genial in those days between Loch Ruadh and Elfsea.  I
do think this has changed in the ensuing years.

What I'm picking up from this healthy exchange is that Loch Ruadh would like
to support Elfsea more by attending her fighter practices, but would like it
to be made easier to do so by having them moved further West.  By moving
them only slightly further West, but considerably further North, some Loch
Ruadhians are perhaps feeling a bit of the old alienation that cause "The
Great Schism" in the old days.

By the same token, we of Loch Ruadh welcome anyone from Elfsea proper to our
fighter practices, arts & sciences classes (often held at our fighter
practices), meetings, and bardics, though I have rarely seen anyone outside
Loch Ruadh attend.  As a side note, I find it interesting that the Wandering
Bardic, a Loch Ruadh tradition, drew a tremendous crowd the night it was
held at Tarkus', when the cloak was passed on, but very few people attended
the following month, when it was just a "regular" bardic night.

Being of a modern mindset, we all want things to be as fair as possible.
Loch Ruadh supports Elfsea in many things.  Perhaps we are under-
represented at fighter practices because we attend our own fighter practice,
along with our meetings and Elfsea's meetings.  There are only so many days
in a week, and it seems that for a while there, Elfsea was scheduling
herself into a frenzy of activity.

Perhaps if there was a greater effort made at Elfsea's fighter practice to
be inclusive of non-fighters, the attendance would improve.  Ten years ago,
I attended my first Elfsea fighter practice, and not a single person spoke
to me.  I don't remember who the hospitaller was back then, but he/she
surely didn't come up to me and make an introduction.  Elfsea has sometimes
been perceived as "standoffish".  I think some of the founders of Loch
Ruadh, after trying to be accepted by the cliques of those days, decided
instead to form their own group where status was not the main concern.

Now that Loch Ruadh has grown so large, we, too, risk the hazard of
overscheduling ourselves.  Add in our modern concerns (and many of us have
children and grandchildren now that we didn't have ten years ago), and it's
hard enough just to keep up with our Canton's activities, let alone do all
the Baronial things as well.

Be that as it may, Loch Ruadh, in my admittedly biased opinion, has shown
more support of Elfsea than Elfsea has of Loch Ruadh, which is just the
opposite of how it should be, according to the way the paperwork is written.
All we're asking is for the opportunity to continue our support.

Dismounting this very crowded soapbox,
Madelina