[Elfsea] Park research - long

Rhonda New rbnew at ftw.nrcs.usda.gov
Mon Nov 26 08:33:13 PST 2001

Whew! you've been busy. I commend you on your research.
However, speaking only for myself, as someone who lives in
Ft. Worth, I would like to add my nickel's worth. Randy and I
used to deal in real estate and we've been all over Ft. Worth.
There were areas we wouldn't go at all, some areas where we
stayed inside the car with the doors locked and motor running,
and a few areas where we felt really safe (mostly in the west or
southwest area).  We've never had a problem with downtown
area - other than it attracts more open-minded "artsy" and
creative types (~smile~).

> 2) Village Creek Park - A better location for those who drive from the south
> and west, and probably *my* first choice, is Village Creek Park in Fort
> Worth.  It is just off Hwy 287.  It is the first exit after the I-20, 820
> east and 287 split, and has an exit on both sides of the highway for Village
> Creek Park Drive.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in that area - actually, if I were there
I probably would be.  Randy and I used to deal in real estate and we've been
all over Ft. Worth. We never felt safe in this area.  And, although the
passersby might be very much attracted by the fighting, please consider the
type of people we would attract...

> 3) Highland Hills Park - This park is just south of I-20 (loop 820 SE) in
> Fort Worth and just east of I35W.  Take Oak Grove Rd. south off I-20,
> then east (or a left) on Glasgow, which dead-ends into the park.

Ditto for this one. I worked with a lady who lived in that area and SHE
wouldn't even go there.

> 4)Handley Park - Located off East Loop 820, take the Lancaster Ave E. exit
> and Handley Park is between Beaty and Greenlee on the East side of 820.

Same concerns as the other two.

> Donnel and I did drive through Trinity Park Saturday evening.  The area by
> the duck pond is pretty and shaded, but no porta-potty's.  Also, no safe
> area for archery at all as there were too many people around.

At the north end of Trinity Park, where Shakespeare in the Park is done,
there are restrooms.  These restrooms remain locked so they'll remain in
good repair. When asked, the City will unlock the restrooms. There is also
a levee for archery backstop.

> I hope to be at Moot, and have pictures of some of the parks.  Llywelyn is
> having problems getting the new camera to talk to our computers, so I am
> going to try it again at work.

/Elizabeth Hawkwood