[Elfsea] Courtesy

Kate Rayburn anezka at elfsea.net
Fri Nov 16 10:35:12 PST 2001

With all the concern (and emotions) about moving fighter practice, it
seems as if some of the basics of email courtesy are being forgotten
more frequently.  Life is good in Elfsea and we treat each other with
respect here.  Let us continue to treat each other with courtesy in
email as well as when we see each other.  Email is not a no-holds-barred
domain of communication.  We cannot get the inflection of a voice, the
visual cues, or the constant stream of thought that are present in a
face to face (or even telephone) conversation.  That is why rules of
etiquette have developed and we should use them.

The two breaches of etiquette that I have noticed happening the most on
this list are not signing  posts and cutting too much from the message
to which one is replying.  Not everyone can identify people by their
email address.  Additionally, not adding your name to your posts implies
that you are not willing to attach your name to your ideas.  If you
don't take it seriously, why should the rest of us?

Secondly, while cutting your replies is an admirable thing, please leave
enough of the original for everyone else who is reading to gain the
context. There may be multiple other posts which come before your reply
is read.  If you post "That's a horrible idea." with nothing else, we
don't know whether you were talking about Idea A, Idea B, or that
hotdogs come 10 per pack and hotdog buns come 8 per pack.

There are numerous sites on the web which further describe email
etiquette.  Every now and again we all need a reminder of how to stay on
our good manners.

In service,
Anezka