[Elfsea] "I will not go to X"

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Mon Nov 26 06:37:18 PST 2001

Unto Lady Innes and all others who had deemed it necessary to make statements like this.

I've remained quiet for nearly the whole length of this discussion on this matter, but with the Moot discussion this evening I feel someone should say this, so unpopular as it will be, here it goes.

Comments like the one below are not constructive to this arguement in any way, but are in fact an attempt at Emotional Blackmail against the entire list, and indeed Barony.  This decision will be reached by the overall choice of the Barony, and there will be people who disagree with whatever decision is made.

To state you do not feel Elfsea's fighter practice should move to Cedar Hill due to distance is fine.  To go further to say "if you move it to X, I will not attend" does not tell us why it should not go there, does not address any factual issue, it just attempts to make people come over to your side of the arguement based upon not wanting to loose -you- from a fighter practice attender.

In a perfect world every person who currently shows at fighter practice will make it at the new location, and we will gain even more people.  But we do not live in a perfect world.  We should all enter this discussion realizing that SOME people may be lost where ever we go.  The hope is simply that we can find a place that is best for the most people, and that any of those who cannot attend are offset by those who suddenly can attend.

I am sure there will be those who disagree with my take on these "I will not go to X" comments.  But before you respond think of this... Which one person in the Barony is important enough to fighter practice that their not being able to attend it at any given location should stop that location from being considered.  And I mean which specific person, not an Office.  Offices like the Rapier Marshall and Knights Marshall can change hands if a park that was like unto the Garden of Eden was found for practice and the current holders could not attend.

In short, if you don't like a park, that's fine.  But give me facts as to WHY you don't, and realize that you alone not being able to attend will not make a difference to the choice, but you and many others may well.

Timothy