[Elfsea] getting into event "shape"

Marsh, Vicki MarsV at chisd.com
Tue Oct 2 08:38:16 PDT 2001

Llywelyn and I have been working to get into "event shape" as well.

After being wheelchair or crutch bound for 4 months from chronic achilles
tendonitis, I had a long talk with Rick.  He really gave me a talking to
about getting into shape and working to stay out of the wheelchair.  After I
got my hard cast cut off, I started my own physical therapy and worked to be
able to stand and walk for longer periods of time.  My muscles had turned
into Jello after not walking.

I started Weight Watchers and have been on program for 2 months, eating
well, and walking with the dogs and boy(s) whenever my feet will let me at
the end of a day.  I have braces on my ankles, and wear good tennis shoes
with lifts, but I don't care if they don't look period anymore. I just wear
the black set with my costumes and go on...Wear good shoes to events -
prepare for the weather and don't wear sandals or shoes without support.
You spend lots of money on armor and fabric - spend the extra money on a
couple of good pairs of shoes.  If you feet hurt, everything hurts.

At Defender, I walked with a cane to steady myself on the rocky road and
broken ground.  A walking staff works just a well, and I heartily suggest
you try it if you are prone to turned ankles.

I am thankful that I have been trying to get into better shape, as it made
Defender a much more enjoyable event for me.  I want to be able to get
around this year at Gulf War, so I have a lot of enjoyable family walks to
look forward to in order to get ready.

I've seen too many of my friends die from heart attacks or be severly
incapacitated and disabled due to health concerns that could have been
prevented with a healthier lifestyle. While none of us will live forever, we
can make good use of the time we have here on earth by taking care of
ourselves.

Xene