[Elfsea] tiki torches/portable holes

Padraig O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Sep 27 14:28:15 PDT 2001

Let's make sure we're all on the same page here about what kind of torches we're talking about.

These are not tiki torches such as you would buy at Garden Ridge or other stores.

A standard size (15 to 16 ounce) vegetable can with one end removed is fastened to a 3 foot wooden stake or piece of rebar.  These are driven into the ground where needed, far enough to be stable.

A glass soda bottle or metal can, preferably with a screw top cap, is filled with kerosene and a length of wick inserted.  The bottle or can is placed into the can, and then the wick is lit at sundown.

These provide enough light to keep you from breaking your neck in the dark, and will burn all night.

Padraig