[Elfsea] Happy Birthday

Shana Hardy Shana.Hardy at tsrh.org
Mon Apr 15 07:03:57 PDT 2002

This is one of my favorite little poems and I can't find a copy of it right now.  It starts out with a little girl looking in the mirror and seeing a fairy princess and liking the way she looks and goes out to play.  It progresses through the teenage years to middle age with accompanying thoughts of her appearance, thoughts and even though she doesn't like what she sees, she goes out to school, work, etc.  The last verse is when she is 80, looks in the mirror, can't see her face but doesn't care and puts on her purple hat and goes out and conquers the world.

My great-grandmother was such an individual and was a strong force in my life.  She died in a car accident at the age of 99, coming back to her farm from her twice a week job of doing the hair for the "old" ladies in the retirement home in town.  She was a unique individual and loved purple.

I've had my purple hat on for several years now and it only gets better!

Tangwyst

 A friend is someone who knows
 the song in your heart
 and can sing it back to you
 when you have forgotten
 the words.;

 --  Unknownl
>>> moonflower1313 at hotmail.com 04/13/02 06:42AM >>>

There is also another 'poem' (I call it that loosely, it is more like a
mini-essay) about how a woman sees herself as she ages.  It progresses from
'worried about how she looks but goes out anyway' to 'in her 80's:  doesn't
care how she looks, puts on a purple hat and goes out anyway.'  So even tho
you're a long way from it, Mistress, put on your purple hat and go out and
have a good time.

BTW, not to butt in on a private joke, but if that song starts out "Moose,
moose, I like a moose" then I know it too!  Very off-color, but very funny!

Love,
Anabel