[Elfsea] Pirates, and Parrots, and Cannon--Oh My!

Kellie Hardy khemail at swbell.net
Thu Apr 25 13:46:32 PDT 2002

    Good my Cousin Lady Elfsea, greetings from your Eastern Neighbors,
and good my Lady Eclipse, warmest tidings!
    My heart is consumed with dread this day, as I have learnt from you
the malignant news of pirates and brigands asea toward our fair lands.
I have informed my good lord husband, who is away  negotiating the lease
of pasture lands in the southern sectors, of this impending threat
against His Majesty's subjects and properties.  It is Master Fritz who
knows well how to meet this untold terror, as he is the Harbormaster of
our lands.  Indeed, he had told me of late that he has heard on the wind
of a most dread pirate on the prowl , one scoundrel and thief by the
name Jacques de la Haiy.  I pray for any other devil than this.
    His Excellency's swiftest couriers were dispatched to myself, and
only yesterday I received word from him that we should marshall our
guards to our houses, and let our Commanders and Champions know of our
plight, so that they may prepare our forces against these scurvy seaway
dogs!   I have set my scribes to the task of drafting urgent warning
missives to the garrisons, as I know you will also.  I have ordered the
stockpiling of the spring and summer foodstuffs, and the manufacture of
every scrap of linen for wound dressing.  The herbalists are gathering
and preparing salves and botanys of all manners, and the priests have
been forewarned of inevitable calamity.
     We must be brave now ourselves, ladies, and take to our chambers
our hunting bows and quivers, and hide dirks and bodkins upon our
trustys, too.   Fearing ever the lawless and heathenish ways of these
wretched villains, a lady may not be too timid to protect her own life
and virtue when she must.
    Away I must to my chapel now, to pray for the swift and safe return
of my Lord Steppes to my side before the onslaught begins!  May God keep
you, good friends, and prepare ye well!  God save the King, and all of
Ansteorra!  Adieu, and adieu,

Catrin Steppes