[Elfsea] RE: [Loch-Ruadh] Kragenworth Keep Bardic

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Fri Dec 6 08:27:51 PST 2002

I was trying to point out that it is not necessarily a large event.
Kragenworth Keep bardics can be quite small, actually, and given your
location, it would actually serve to limit the number of people willing to
drive for one of Kragenworth's bardics where the cloak is not being passed
on.  I have attended where as few as ten people showed up.  These are
actually very nice, and sometimes little singing occurs, but lots of story
telling and camaraderie happens instead.

As for the cross-posting, well, you have me to blame.  As it is sponsored by
Lord Tarkus and House Brokenaxe (Broken Axe?  Pray forgive my
ignorance....), and members of that household live not only in Loch Ruadh,
but also in Elfsea, it is customary to include Elfsea, and sometimes her
other Cantons, as I did in including Dragonsfire Tor (simply due to their
location, as some members might find a drive to the Weatherford environs not
out of the question, whereas a drive to Arlington might be.).  My apologies
if this was beyond the scope of what you envisioned.

Generally speaking, Kragenworth Keep bardics are a sing along sort of thing,
very much like Loch Ruadh bardics.  The exception is when the cloak of
Kragenworth Keep is being passed on; then bards of all descriptions come out
of the woodwork and perform for an audience, rather than the audience being
part of the performance.

Your children would be more than welcome to chime in, as mine usually do
when attending bardics.

My point, which I apparently failed miserably to make, was that the person
hosting sets the rules, so to speak, for the evening.  You are more than
welcome to have an impromptu sort of affair.  You can say when and where we
meet, for how long, etc.  You can specify that your house is or isn't
childproofed without offending anyone.  You can specify that everyone must
leave by 10 p.m. if you like (keeping in mind, though, that Kragenworth Keep
bardics typically don't start getting off the ground until around 8:30 or
9:00 p.m.).

I feel so bad for ruining the experience for you!  I just wanted you to be
prepared for any contingency, because with these sort of things, you really
don't know who will show up, how many, or how long they plan to stay unless
you spell it out for them -- particularly that they need to leave by a
certain time AND should plan to bring food to share, since it is a potluck.
This has sort of fallen by the wayside lately, and Lady Gwenllian is too
nice to remind people in a pointed fashion that they need to share if they
plan to partake.  There, I said it.  So say what you will, but I always
bring at least one dish, if not more.

As for responding to everyone, just click "reply to all" instead of just
"reply" when you want it cross-posted everywhere someone else sent it.

Taking all this into account (whew!  Sorry for being so long-winded!),
please let me know if you reconsider.  I've missed some activities lately
due to illness, and was looking forward to this evening.  Oh, well, I can
always starting digging out the Christmas decorations.... Or sewing on Yule
outfits....

Adieu,
Madelina de Lindesaya