[Elfsea] aftermath of Tor Yule Revel

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sun Dec 15 12:24:10 PST 2002

Hey guys and gals! Caelin here. We had lots of fun talking with our
friends at the Tor Yule revel yesterday. Unfortunately, the aftermath
was a bit less fun. On 67 prior to 174, a car coming the other way
shifted into my lane and came right at our Miata. I chose (can you
really choose in a tenth of a second?) to go to my left since he was
heading to my right and I was not sure I could miss him that way. Pyro
tells me it was a white van, but I only remember the headlights.

We spun around, slid into the mud-filled ditch, flipped onto the
passenger side and back several times (I was sure we flipped onto the
top and then back down, but the top looks pristine and this is a
convertible). We ended up in the ditch on the opposite side of the road
wheel deep in mud and grass. Some people saw it and stopped to check on
us. Amazingly, we were OK. Both of us had seat belts and chest straps in
place and the total damage to us was a small bruise for Pyro. I
apologized to her, but she thanked me for keeping us alive :-).

The car was damaged on the passenger side, but still running. The police
arrived in force and puzzled for some time about how we could get where
we were. They gave me a field sobriety test and, of course, I passed
with flying colors. They said this kind of thing was almost always
alcohol related (I believe the other guy who kept on driving was drunk).
I suspect being dressed in 1540 Italian garb did not help much.

They called a wrecker who pulled us out. I wanted to try to drive home,
so we tried it for a while. There was a shimmy that was like a bent
wheel, but the wrecker guy insisted it was mud, so we drove slowly to
the nearest car wash and washed out the undercarriage. It turned out we
had a slow leak puncture in the passenger front tire, but we filled it
and made it home about 1AM.

To make things more difficult, I can not find my cell phone, so it is
probably at the Yule site somewhere unless one of you great people
gathered it up. Could you please check and if there is someone near the
site, could they look around (I won't be driving much for a while). I
would greatly appreciate it. I have insurance on the phone and can get
it replaced, but the mass of phone numbers in it is not properly backed
up anywhere.

I'd like to thank Timothy, Anezka, Seamus, and Genivive for worrying
about us and attempting to track us down.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede