[Elfsea] The Chinese Christmas Exchange Present From Hell

Lisa Duke arabella at elfsea.net
Sat Dec 28 16:17:36 PST 2002

The Chinese Christmas Exchange Present From Hell

We ended up with this tacky little heart shaped plastic music box that only
played a part of an equally obnoxious song.  (The best part of the gift was
the Wine, we kept that part.)

Well this heart was so obnoxious that I gave it to Trevor who proceeded in
the next minute and a half to pop the lid off.  When I tried to attach the
lid back on it (it wouldn't shut off without the lid) In my rush (and
frustration of my son breaking it) to quiet it, I broke part of the plastic
hinge.  The box kept playing; it won't shut off unless the top was on to
push the lever down.  I turned the entire box around to find the shut off.
There wasn't one.  Now this was truly unacceptable.  I ended up putting it
outside with some trash so I wouldn't hear it.  (I thought it would be nice
to drive the neighbors crazy while I ran the battery down.)

2 days later.... Ashley came home and said what is that weird music?   It
was still playing!

Next day... I was outside on my driveway tending to the flat tire on my
Suburban and the sucker was still playing!  Not only was I irritated at the
fact that my tire was flatter than a pancake (we ran over a screw and the
tire was totally screwed! ... he he) but I had to listen to that damn heart
still playing that stupid portion of a cheesy song.

I'd had enough!   I took the heart out of the trash and threw it on the
concrete.  It still played!

Now I was pissed.  I jumped up and down on it.  It broke into a million
little pieces and you know the stupid thing was still playing!

I had to pick up the mechanism and rip out the wires and send the battery
flying to shut the damn thing up.

Never to be heard from again.

We had a really great Christmas with my family... The first totally stress
free holiday in a very long time.  Hope yours was too! - Arabella