[Elfsea] thrones

Daniel Gutridge dgutridge at wciconsulting.com
Mon Feb 4 20:58:56 PST 2002

Yes Inez, wood furniture can last a long time.  I expect that the items
you are speaking of were not made from plywood, held together by hinges,
left in the rain, sun, and thrown in the back of trucks all over the
kingdom several times a month (If you saw the gouges in the wood you
would know that they have not always been well treated).  Let us also
not forget the memorable defender a few years ago that when a surprised
couple ran away because they were having sex on them at 3 am when I was
patrolling around as autocrat (no, they were too far away to identify -
I do not know who they were).  This last incident caused an arm to fall
off.

Designing something to be portable and easily assembled is a significant
problem.

All that aside note that they were the 1st chairs I ever made and did
not do the job that I could today.  They were also, at request, designed
to recline which has caused interesting problems that no one could
anticipate.

Also note that the barony only paid for the wood to make them.  To have
made them out of hard wood would have cost 4 times what they originally
cost and was well beyond the budget set forth for this project at that
time.

All of that aside, they could easily be made to last another year or two
simple by reglueing and refinishing them.  They will not however win a
beauty prize, but will be serviceable so that a new set can be
constructed without haste.  I am taking care of regluing and tightening
them up, but I will not have time to refinish them before springfaire -
can someone help me out with that?  I will supply the stain and laquer.

Daniel