[Elfsea] Truck for Gulf War

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Feb 5 22:43:53 PST 2002

We don't yet know the dollar amount. I set the totals high to keep from quoting a low number and having to raise it. I am hoping to get it down to at least 1/2 that, but I cannot say that for sure until I have some idea of the amount of space we will need and I get current quotes for the vehicle.

The average person who would need someone else to carry their stuff is going to need to put much more than you listed in the truck. If that is all, then you could go in with someone else for a share. I had envisioned a share as about 1/2 of what I would take: a pavilion, a bed, 2 chairs, various lamps, a small amount of kitchen equipment, 4-5 tubs of clothing, and armor. Probably about 100 cubic feet (5x5x4) or 50 cu ft per share. A 24ft truck is about 24x8x8 = 1536 cubic feet. At 50 cu ft/share, that is about 30 shares. I suspect the Baronies will take a bit over half of that leaving about 15 shares less 2 for me = 13 shares available.

The 24 ft truck was about $1200 last year. At 50 shares, that would be $24/share. The gas was about $150 last year or $5/share. So if we could get last year's totals and truck, the total would be about $30/share for 50 cu ft. It was higher because we did not utilize the space very well and had the truck over half empty. If we only sold 25 of those 50 available shares, the total price per share would have to increase (double) because the truck costs the same (unless I get a smaller truck). My problem is in figuring out how to minimize the cost per share. If I know before I get the truck how many people will want to use space on the truck, I can match the size of the truck to the need. Of course, people need to know the cost before committing. Catch 22.

I will get current pricing for a similar truck today and post the results within a day or two with definitive $/cu ft based on selling all the shares. The whole idea of shares was to keep from measuring cu ft and all the hassles involved in having lots of people with small loads.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede