[Elfsea] Re: Pavilion Needed for Gulf War

Paul or Galen baron at elfsea.net
Tue Feb 5 09:23:14 PST 2002

Galen here...

OK, let me see if I understand it all:

In our joint Steppes/Elfsea camp, we'll use the large Steppes pavillion,
centrally located, as a common area, and then the old blue & white
pavillion as a gate (replacing the small oval we've used the past two or
three years).

Down on the fighting field, Steppes & Elfsea plan to use Elfsea's "Big
Blue" pavillion to house our members and gear there.  Sounds great so
far.

The monkeywrench:  The Crown needs a pavillion.  Sir Pendaran is trying
to guilt the barons into coughing one up, and our Baroness was a bit
susceptible.  But the Crown doesn't just need a place to put their
thrones, they need a place to put their entourage, their generals, their
Royal Guests, their peerage circles, and basically to sit in state.  If
we try to _share_ a pavillion with them, no matter how large, we'll get
crowded out.

So Allessandra told Pendaran she'd ask the barony, and the reply has
been, quite reasonably, that we had plans to put two whole baronies
under that pavillion.  Other barons are also casting about for something
that the Crown can use, and the Baron of Bordermarch is checking with
Spinning Winds.  Elfsea's colors being the same as Trimaris' I don't
think it's such a hot idea to put the Crown of Ansteorra under a blue or
blue & white pavillion anyway.  Still, if they want to make due with our
old blue & white, I think we should offer that.

I don't really have any problem with letting the Crown sit under my
personal blue & white pavillion, but I'd want someone to promise me
they'll be responsible for getting it pitched and struck, and carried
there and back with all the pieces.  I'm far less worried about damage
than about making sure it all comes home.

I'll tell Pendaran that we might be able to offer one of those blue &
white options, and see what he says.

Can anybody estimate the dimensions of the old blue & white baronial
pavillion?

- Galen

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but
shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
       - C.S. Lewis
Check out my latest column at <www.viewfromdownhere.com>!
All my websites have moved to <users2.ev1.net/~pmitchel>!