[Elfsea] Attn Brewers and vintners

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Feb 20 13:12:11 PST 2002

I'll forward this to the LR list.  I don't have any reference books at hand
to even begin a search for an answer for you; perhaps someone on the LR list
can address your concerns.  My guess is that you should limit the amount of
sugar to just what was available in the fruit if you want a lower alcohol
content.  If you are using apples, go for a more tart choice.  If, however,
you want it really strong, then feed the yeast as much as they can handle,
and use a sweet apple.  Personally, I like hard cider, whereas I don't like
the taste of ales/stouts/beers, etc.  So if you are making hard cider for
people who imbibe "frou-frou" drinks, cider would be a better choice than
any sort of beer.  Champagne yeast and other wine yeasts could be employed
to advantage in this.

And Elfsea Moot is sooner than Loch Ruadh Populace, so if I can't make it
over to Arabella's on Saturday, perhaps you could bring them to Elfsea Moot,
where I'm certain the remaining bottles would be snapped up quickly.

Madelina