[Elfsea] Truck for Gulf War

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Feb 5 10:04:58 PST 2002

Greetings,

As was discussed at the business meeting last night, I will be acquiring the rental truck again this year. I need some information from all of you in order to know the appropriate size. Steppes will be sharing the truck space with us this year.

Due to various Corpora regulations and rulings, an SCA organization may not either own or rent a vehicle (liability), but they may rent space on a vehicle that is rented by someone else (me). The rules for non-profit organizations (like the SCA) prevent us from spending money to benefit individual members of the group. This means the Barony may pay for the transport of Baronial equipment that is shared by any and all that wish to use it or equipment that is necessary for the dream that is shared by all. The Barony may not pay for transport of individual tents, gear, food, cooking utensils, etc.

Whew! I could get a truck that was just big enough for the Baronial stuff (and that of Steppes), but (like last year) I believe we might as well carry some or all of your stuff also and reduce the number of trailers and big vehicles that are necessary. Since I am paying for the trailer and the Barony is only able to pay for transport of its stuff, I must ask anyone who wants me to take their stuff to pay a share of the cost. The exact cost will not be known until we size the truck and know how many of you want space. I'm not going to measure exact cubic space used and charge exactly. It will be based on equal shares unless someone has twice the average amount and I will charge them two shares, etc.  My guess now is less than $100/per share for the truck and about $10/share for gas.

If you want space, I need to know in the next couple of days. I will be polling Steppes also. If we get to a full 24 ft truck, then we are done. It takes a commercial license to go bigger than that and my driver (Virgil) and I do not have that. So get your requests in. If you think you will be taking more than most, tell me that also.

Logistics. You may bring your stuff to my house starting at noon on Friday before the War. Make sure it is packed in waterproof containers (put it in trash bags, if nothing else). Each piece must be labeled with your mundane and SCA names and either Elfsea or Steppes. We will have two areas: tent stuff and other stuff. Put your tent stuff in the tent stuff area and your other stuff in the other stuff area. This allows us to put the tent stuff at the back and get it out first. You can begin setting up the tent while we unload everyone else's tent and then come back for your furniture, etc. We will have tarps to protect your stuff, but we are not responsible for damage due to inclement weather.

We will start loading at 3PM Saturday. We will need helpers. If you get there after 3PM with your stuff, you may not get in. If you get there after the truck is packed you may be out of luck. We are currently planning to leave early Sunday morning. Anyone who wants to go with us may join in.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede
Master of the Great Carriage of Elfsea ;-)