[Elfsea] Fearghus and Arabella B&B Questions

Arabella de Montacute arabella at elfsea.net
Tue Feb 19 22:02:28 PST 2002

Greetings unto the populace of Elfsea, Loch Ruadh, Dragonsfire Tor, and Threebridges,

My Lady and I would like to address these very thought provoking questions.

1.) What do you, as an applicant for Baron/Baroness, hope to look back in X years when you are stepping down, and say "This is what I got out of being Baron/Baroness"?

The main thing that we would hope to get out of the experience is a sense of accomplishment.  When we would be stepping down we would want to look back and say, “I am leaving this Barony and these people in a better order than when we stepped up.  This Barony has built a reputation around the Kingdom as a group that is cohesive, strong and united of purpose.  This has not always been so. Thanks to the people that have worn the cornets of Elfsea in the recent past, this has come about.  We want to continue this tradition of service and leadership that has become our trademark.  That is not to say that improvement could not be made.  No one is perfect, and there is always room for change and enhancement.  We must never let this Barony grow stagnant.  So we would want to look back with the idea that we kept things moving and dynamic with new growth and ideas added to the traditions, which is our foundation.

2.) What are your priorities within the barony for short term?  (Say the first six months, or the first year?)

The first few months of sitting the thrones of Elfsea must be a time of learning and gaining insight into where the Barony is and where we want it to go.  We would get a clear understanding of the problems that the Barony faces and the resources and strengths in the Barony to overcome these problems.  We would endeavor to make ourselves available to the people of our fair Barony.  To reinforce the ideal that everyone deserves the right to be heard and everyone's opinion is valued.  Another priority that has to be addressed is population growth and development.

3.) What is the greatest strength that you/both of you would bring to the barony as baron/baroness?

Our greatest strength lies in our diversity.  While our interests lie in sundry areas, that makes our differing interests a strength because we compliment each other.  While our personalities are at opposite ends of the spectrum, this enables us to look at things in varied ways and keeps us open to new possibilities.  We have been together as a couple for over 11 years, and while we don't always see eye to eye, we have generally came to solutions to problems that we both can accept.  My lady would bring a sense of order, and I would bring a sense of patience.  Together we would bring a sense of resolve and fair dealings.

Many people jokingly say being Baron and Baroness is much like being a father and mother figure.  We have experience in this arena.  Our oldest daughter is 23, married and has her own child.  The others are ranging from 17 to 7 years of age.  We are very family oriented, and have acquired a sense of tolerance, patience and endurance needed for this job.

What about our greatest weakness?

Our greatest weakness is overcoming perceptions, such as the perception that we are not physically able to perform this job.  But this can also be a strength, in that it gives us a unique perspective on how to deal with problems and prejudices.

Another perception might be a negative image of our relationship with each other.  In the past we have treated each other incorrectly.  All marriages take time and effort and they do change.  We have been working very hard over the past several years to correct our treatment of each other and are very aware what needs to be changed.  To say this last year for us was mundanely incredibly stressful is an extreme understatement. (Ie. several hospitalizations, medical issues, and a house that turned into a scientific horror)  We became stronger in our relationship and will be celebrating our 11th anniversary this July.

4.) The populace within sees themselves differently as the populace outside the barony.  As our Baron/Baroness, you can be our inspiration (leader perhaps?) for how the outside 'world' sees us-in other baronies, in the kingdom, in the mundane world.  The Baron and Baroness have to be the leaders of their group.  They must project the ideals and characteristics that will overcome problems and address them in a positive manner. What would you change?

We would have to think long hard before we changed anything.  And be very sure that any changes we make are for the good of the group as a whole.  One issue would be more comprehensive training for our officers, and attracting new members.

What wouldn't you change? Or more correctly, focus on?

We would not change the tradition that Elfsea has become famous for, that of being hard workers and hard and noble fighters.  We would focus on growth and development of new ideas and helping the Barony.

5.) If you were not an applicant, what qualities and qualifications would YOU be looking at?

a. The ability to lead on battlefield and off.
b. A long-standing and stable relationship.
c. Past experience outside the Barony in the Kingdom at large in the social and service arena.
d. The ability to be objective and honorable in all the dealings with the populace, and project themselves as the representatives of the crown.
e. Financial ability to sustain themselves as Baron and Baroness for an extended period of time.
f. The ability to listen carefully to issues and see all angles in order to come to a positive resolution.

5. How do we enrich our Barony?

We do so by encouraging growth, strength and harmony within the barony.  When we look and work to change our own shortcomings to make them positive, everyone around us benefits.

6. How do we plan on improving upon our predecessors?

By building on the foundation that was laid before us and using it to attract and keep new
members. And make them feel like they belong.

Taking a more active role in paying attention to details and prior planning makes a barony and events run smoothly.

Better utilization of resourses in the barony to accomplish goals.

Create a more structured and ceremonial use of the Elfsea Baronial Guard not just as workers.

If you feel you have questions please contact us.  We are available for all of you.

Please go to Moot on Monday.  Select the candidates you would support.  Send information to the Crown and or the Seneschal, let them know your opinion if you can not attend.  Our King can make an educated decision if he knows your opinions.

In Faithful Service to Barony and Kingdom,
HL Fearghus MacKenna and HL Arabella de Montacute