[Elfsea] A few more questions. - Caelin/Pyro

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Jan 31 15:28:54 PST 2002

> 1.)What do you, as an applicant for Baron/Baroness, hope to look
> back in X years when you are stepping down, and say "This is what
> I got out of being Baron/Baroness"?
I'm pretty sure it is something I cannot conceive now. I hope it is
at least the feeling that the Barony is still the strongest in the
Kingdom, that we still have more fun than anyone else, that we are
the innovators, and Pyro and I moved us a little further along
those paths.

> 2.)What are your priorities within the barony for short term?
> (say the first six months.  the first year?)
(1) Better communications with the Cantons/College and with the
people of Elfsea in general. (2) A rise in paid and unpaid memberships.
(3) Good finances (ours are not bad currently, but they need to be
a bit better). (4) Strong A&S support. (5) Strong support for all
areas of SCA combat: Archery, Rapier, Chivalric, Siege, Knife/Ax/Spear.

> 3.)What is the greatest strength that you/both of you would bring
> to the barony as baron/baroness?  What about the greatest weakness?
Both of us are good at working with people. We can lead and inspire.
Together we are active in most areas of the Barony and would try
very hard to support the rest. We work hard for the Barony and can
lead others to find their niche to do the same. And we delegate well.

What weakness? I would say the answers to our priorities might
show where we feel we need work personally. We need to communicate
better with various communities, we need to be more involved in A&S
and Bardic, and we need to support all the combat areas.

> 4.) The populace within sees themselves differently as the
> populace outside the barony.  As our Baron/Baroness, you can be
> our inspiration (leader perhaps?) for how the outside 'world'
> sees us-in other baronies, in the kingdom, in the mundane world.
> What would you change?  What wouldn't you change? or more
> correctly, focus on?
I would not change our focus on being the best. "Life is good in
Elfsea(tm)" is more than a catch phrase. We focus on making and
keeping Elfsea a place where people feel welcome, where we work
out differences, and where we care about our neighbors. People
who leave Ansteorra and go to another Kingdom see themselves as
Ansteorrans who are in a new area. They don't lose their love of
Ansteorra. I think the people of Elfsea see themselves in much the
same way. And I would not change that.

I would focus on service to your neighbors, to Elfsea, and to Ansteorra
as the key to making Elfsea a better, more fun place to live. We
have been a service group since our inception. Sometimes we get
caught up in awards or events or garb or fighting and forget it for
a while.

> 5.)If you were not an applicant, what qualities and
> qualifications would YOU be looking at?
People I see as leaders in Elfsea currently. People who have worked
to improve Elfsea over several years. People whose skills complement
each other. People with whom I am comfortable and yet people I
look up to and could call "Your Excellencies".

> Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis

In Service,
Caelin and Pyro