[Elfsea] This day in history (sort of OP).....

Tessa Nieto eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 15:39:35 PDT 2002

Also, on this date, July 14 1789, prisoners of the
Prison Bastille stormed the guards and won their
freedom, thus setting into motion the French
Revolution and paving the way for Napoleon to take
power. Silly French. ;O)

Seriously, this is what I got off a great website
regarding Bastille Day
(http://infoplease.com/spot/frenchrevolution.html):

"On July 14, 1789, an outraged group of Parisians
stormed the Bastille, a fortress and prison in France
where prisoners of influence were held, in hopes of
capturing ammunition.

Shortly thereafter, King Louis XVI and his wife Marie
Antoinette took refuge in Versailles as the violent
peasants pillaged and burned châteaux, and destroyed
records of feudal dues; this reaction is known as the
grande peur (great fear).

For the peasant class, the Bastille stood as a symbol
of the hypocrisy and corruption of the aristocratic
government - controlled mostly by nobility and clergy.
This important event marked the entry of the popular
class into the French Revolution.

The French recognize Bastille Day as the end of the
monarchy and beginning of the modern republic. The
lasting significance of the event was in its
recognition that power could be held by ordinary
citizens, not in the King or in God."

Eleanor Cleavely

--- CE Huse/Lady Maria Cabeca de Vaca
<cehuse at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Jul 14 1902
>

> The 12th century Campanile di San Marco (St. Mark's
> Bell Tower) in Venice,
> chose this day to spontaneously collapse into a pile
> of unidentifiable
> rubble.
>

> Ok...does thus mean that the warranty expired??  ;-)
>
> Maria

=====
- - - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary