[Elfsea] sergers

Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Mon Nov 18 05:53:38 PST 2002

Lisa Duke wrote:

> I'm in the market for a surge.  Bernina, Baby lock, what other brands are on
> the market?  Which do you guys like the best?  Anybody have more than one to
> compare?  Prices?  Ease of operation?
>
> Would love a great discussion here.  We're working for 12th night.
>
> Arabella

One of the more frustrating things about any serger is threading them,
especially the loopers. Therefore, this particular Babylock feature
rules!!! Gabrielle has one of these...
http://www.babylock.com/machines/eline/eclipse/demo02.htm

White appears to be a popular serger machine manufacturer and Hancock
fabrics seems to carry them.

Here's a page that should help cloud, er, clear the issue of choosing
one... :)
http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/sergertn.htm

BTW, one of the things I discovered while shopping for embroidery
machines last year is that Singer and Babylock are both owned by
Brother. Babylock continues to carry mostly serger company, but the
Babylock embroidery products are manufactured by Brother. On the other
hand, I can only find one Brother serger, a nice one, but only one and
it doesn't seem to match any of the Babylock sergers.

Don't forget eBay. Often, you can search for the machine you want
locally, then find it cheaper on eBay. Bear in mind that some dealers
are reluctant to service a machine they didn't sell.

Last year, I found a new old stock Yamata serger on eBay for about $120.
It is made from cast iron, very solid, I'm sure very durable. It works
fairly well, but the threading diagram in the badly translated manual
appears to have been drawn by a 6 year old, not to disrespect six year
olds. I found similar machines on eBay this morning for around $100.
Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1787469897

Here's one that is the same brand as my little one, but appears to be
much more advanced:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1789265970

This one appears to be the Babylock design that my Yamata appears to
have been a knockoff of. Except for mine being a 5 thread, mine looks
just like this, down to the colors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1787920867

Oooh, here's a Pegasus industrial serger:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1788630444

Here's an industrial Juki complete with table and clutch motor for $500,
but the seller doesn't want to ship it from Portland, OR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1788935703

Anyway, that should muddy the waters a bit :)

Sluggy!

--

   I looked at the cat and the cat looked at me. From the frank,
   unbridled expression of disgust on the face of the cat, it was

                                         Kinky Friedman