[Elfsea] first SCA exposure/'Young Ones' (long)

Jane Sitton lymadelina at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 10:48:56 PST 2002

Funny, we should have such different experiences.  I
first heard about the SCA when I was working at
Scarborough Faire.  Most of the Rennies said SCAers
were snobbish, so I took them at their word.

Then I met Logan, after noticing a book on Celtic
history he was buying at a bookstore where I worked.
We talked for a long time, and began dating a few
weeks later.  He told me about the SCA, then took me
to my first MOOT, where no one spoke to me.  Then I
attended a Fighter Practice, where again, NO ONE spoke
to me.  I was about to give up on the whole thing,
until I attended Elfsea Defender down at Keller's
Camp.  I had a great time, when I wasn't helping Logan
at the forge.  A kind lady named Gwenllian Hertewell
spoke to me and made me feel welcome.

Later, I heard about a new Canton forming which
included my zip code.  I went to a garb class at the
home of Dighe and Thorvald.  I met a lovely lady named
Melanie of the Three Needles who made me feel very
welcome indeed.  At the next Moot, she went out of her
way to talk with me and make me feel like I belonged.

I've played with Loch Ruadh ever since.

I'm sorry you did not receive the same welcome I did.
But then again, Loch Ruadh and Elfsea seem to have
different dynamics.  I feel I can get along with most
people in either group, but certainly feel more
welcome and more at home in Loch Ruadh.

As always, your mileage may differ.

Ly Madelina de Lindesaye

--- Kate Rayburn <anezka at elfsea.net> wrote:

> > > In the past we have done this by asking a large
> group of us, "What
> > > event, demo, fighter practice, whatever was your
> introduction
> > > to the SCA?" It is interesting to see the
> results.

<<<much snippage>>>

> The first thing I noticed was that there
> was a canton who met
> right down the street from where I was at school.  I
> had been in Texas
> less than a week and went to one of their populace
> meetings.  I have
> never felt more ignored and less wanted than I did
> at Loch Ruadh's
> populace meeting.  I almost gave up on Ansteorra
> right then.  But I knew
> that there was a Baronial fighter practice on Sunday
> and decided to give
> the group another try.  At this Elfsea practice I
> was immediately
> welcomed and introduced around.  I was given a copy
> of the Scroll and
> Atlas as well as several people's phone numbers and
> email addresses if I
> had any more questions about Elfsea.  Since then,
> Elfsea has been my
> home and life has been good here.

<<<more snippage>>>