[Elfsea] reducing kingdom calendar events ( long)

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Oct 8 00:16:17 PDT 2002

Richard,

This is a fairly good list of options. It will take a little
while to fully digest and respond, but I would like to make
one comment now. The "Survival of the Fittest" is not really
the status quo. Survival of the Fittest implies that any
group may hold an event whenever it is desired without regard
to other events (perhaps allowing exclusion of special
Kingdom events). If 10 groups decided to use the same date,
they could all get it and the ones best able to attract
participants would get the most attendance and money.

Currently, the Kingdom does not allow a group to schedule
an event within a given distance (say 150 miles) of another
event. Further, the Central region may not schedule a major
event in contention with any other region because their
central local gives them an advantage and the other region's
event generally suffers.

In fact, if you only look at the 150 mile limitation, we do
not really have much of an event proliferation problem. It is
only when looking at the overall Kingdom calendar that we see
several events on a single weekend. The same is true if you
substitute "within the same region" for the 150 mile limit.

Instead of a free market, this is like a planned economy with
a 2-year plan.  As Baron Daniel has stated, however, we do
not want our friends to suffer because we use our advantage
against them. A healthy Kingdom requires some adjustment
between its parts to stay healthy.

I am not espousing any particular option yet. I'm still
evaluating what you and others have said. But I wanted to
clarify what is the status quo.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede