[Elfsea] The Future of Elfsea Defender

Jhan Knebel rixende at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 11:12:27 PDT 2002

Lord Timothy and Elfsea,

I have included my answers below the questions.

--- Timothy Rayburn <timothy at elfsea.net> wrote:
> DISCLAIMER : I bring this up because I personally
> would like to here input from the populace.  No
> Change in Defender is iminent that I am aware of.
>
> Greetings Elfsea,
> 1) What would you like to see as a 'theme' for
> Elfsea Defender?

Since it is the 25th year of Defender, and 25th being
the silver anniversary, my first try at a theme would
have "Argent" involved. Contests could then be themed
around the color. An "Argent Masque" could be held in
the evening with costume contests, including a prize
for the best use of the color argent.

> 2) Would you personally be willing to coordinate a
> project for an event over 8 months in advance?

Yes (but I plan on being pretty busy with attending
Their Excellencies and coordinating A&S)

> 3) Would you be willing to see how we choose our
> Defenders change?  (ie Retire the Reverse OP
> challenge/Swiss 5 format)

Yes, but I will leave that up to the fighting
community and Their Excellencies.

> 4) Would you be willing to see a judged tournament,
> where wins and losses alone do not dictate who the
> next Defender is?

Yes and no. I've seen in the past (not in Elfsea
necessarily) where the Champion or Defender of a group
turns out to be someone that the group can not be
proud of for one reason or another (ie, they tend to
Rhino on the Field, are rude and condescending to
other fighters, etc.) With a traditional tournament,
there will alway be a chance of this happening.

However, I think that the Defender must ultimately win
based on their fighting Prowess.

I was particularly fond of the format used at the last
Loch Sollier Baronial Championship. A Pas de Armes was
held. A Combatant was chosen from those who fought in
the Pas for each of the following people: The Gallery,
"English (Selected by the fighters themselves)",
"French (Selected by the fighters themselves)" and The
Past Champion of the Group. These 4 combatants then
fought for the title of Champion of Loch Sollier,
which Sir Alexis la Bouche won.

The final number of people selected to compete for the
title of Elfsea Defender could vary depending on the
size of the list (ie, for every 10 entrants, 1 will be
selected to go to the finals?) or could be a set
number like Loch Sollier did. Defender is a much large
tournament than Loch Sollier's was, so it would pose
different challenges.

> 5) Would you be willing to see Elfsea Defender move
> from it's current area on the Calendar?  Is there a
> time of year that might be better?

I'm pretty happy with the date, other than the fact
that my mundane family and high school reunion
committees tend to be rather fond of it as well ;-)

> 6) What is one thing you miss from Defender's past
> that you would like to see return, and would be
> personally willing to work to see return?

Can not comment, Defender's format really hasn't
changed since we moved here.

> 7) What is the most fun tournament you've personally
> witnessed/fought-in within the last year?

I would have to say Loch Sollier Champion, simply for
the fact that the magic was there, the mundanities
were well out of site and everyone was trying very
hard for the title of Baronial Champion.

In Service to Ansteorra, Elfsea and the Dream,

Rixende
Rixende

=====
Lady Rixende de Rouen
Minster of Arts and Sciences, Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra
http://www.timelessbeads.com
rixende at timelessbeads.com