[Elfsea] virus alert

Seanan mac Tighearnain seanan at elfsea.net
Sun Sep 22 04:20:19 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "CE Huse/Lady Maria Cabeca de Vaca" <cehuse at sbcglobal.net>

> Ok, be patient with me here...I'm a little computer stupid on this.  When
> received the e-mail, it said it was from Crandall and it has Crandall's
> e-mail addy in the "from" section. When I hit the reply button, it also
put
> Crandall's email addy in.
>
> So, does this mean that someone else is using his e-mail address? Could
you
> enlighten those of us not so gifted with the technicalities of e-mail and
in
> plain simple english?

In a way yes, some else used crandall's e-mail address when they sent
you that message, in this case the someone was the Virus Klez. It looked
through the address book on the computer is is infecting and randomely
grabbed Crandall's address. It then created a fictious letter, with itself
attached and looked for another random address to sent the letter to, in
this
case, yours.  This makes it hard to determine where the virus came from
because anyone who has both Crandall and You in their address book is a
suspect.
I went through a bout with this virus and it was extremely annoying because
while it is doing all of that it is also corrupting .exe files and in
general making
a nuisance of itself...

-Seanan

---