[Elfsea] virus alert

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Sun Sep 22 09:14:30 PDT 2002

Very simple to explain really.  The 'From' address on an email is no more proof it came from someone than a return address on an envelope is.  While most mail programs automatically fill in your information, mail servers act just like mail boxes and will deliver mail that is sent to it, regardless of what is on the outside of the enevelope (a little simplistic but mostly true).  As such viruses on a computer that knows both your address and Crandall's address could fill out your address as the 'To' and Crandall as the 'From' and not put their information anywhere.  Just as if you recieved a letter, you'd assume it was from the person who was listed as the return address, but in fact someone malicious could have falsified the envelope entirely.  Get it?

Timothy