[Elfsea] A list of questions

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:33:11 PDT 2003

Hola!

Ok...here are my 2 pesos...

>Question 1:
>Does Elfsea have too many events during a year?

Yup....and as a result we are all getting pretty crispy. I just recently
came out of a year of forcefully sitting on my hands. In the future, I'm
going to be a bit more choosy as to what I do, but will still be active.

I agree with Armand. Combine a couple of events. I like Armand's idea about
combining Springfaire and Baronial College. If we utilized Canton, we could
hold the classes in the hall. If this is not feasible, why not hold Defender
and Fool's Revel (the revel could be held on Sunday morning).

>Question 2:
>Do you like having Business Meeting and Populace meeting both on Monday
>Night?

No. I liked it much better when we had Business meeting on Thursday night. I
think poeple are more tired on Mondays than any other day of the week...I
know I always was.

>Question 3 or Asking for ideas and comments
>How can we improve our retention and hospitaling to newcomers?

I agree with your sign idea, Master Richard. Many people are just so shy
about asking what we are doing and why we are dressed up all funny like.

We all need to carry some sort of business like card (you can print them off
your computer) or a small notebook and pen. I can't tell you how many times
I was standing in line with 2 or 3 bolts of material, someone gives me a
funny look and I cheerfully explained about the SCA and that it's only an
expensive hobby, if you make it that way...I then give them my SCA calling
card with my info and the Barony's info...I run out I use my handy pen and
notebook and write the info down. I always tell them where and when our
fighter practices are and that this is a good chance to really talk to the
members there.

Elizabeth Hawkwood gave me a copy of the Scroll and Blackstar. It was 2
years later (yes I'm a pack rat) when I found them and decided that it would
be a good day to good take a looksee at the local fighter practice.

Your ideas are good, Master Richard, but right now I just don't think the
rest are feasible. We are having a tough enough time just getting volunteers
to do our events. I never had a mentor, instead I just stumbled along (still
am). I was fortunate enough that when I had a funny or confused look on my
face, someone helped me out...I think was always fortunate because this
Barony loves to share it's love for the SCA with anyone willing to listen.
Alos, the sign in sheets are really hard to get people to sign. With the
terrorist scares lately, people are really concerned with their personal
safety and are cautious about giving that information out. Again, I think
that business like cards with basic contact info are more than
sufficient...they can put these in their wallets and are less likely to get
thrown away.

>Question 4:
>Canton civic center has informed that they now have a scissor lift to hang
>banners from the ceiling.
>Does the Barony wish to make hanging banners like those seen at steppes
>events or coronations to use at canton?

LOVE IT!! I will be willing to help sew these things together! I stay at
home all day. Between me and Diane, my daughter, we can kick them out. Just
get me the design, material and supplies.

Maria

*** St. Theresa's Prayer ****
May today there be peace within
May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to
be....
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that
has been given to you....
May you be content knowing you are a child of God....
Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to
sing, and dance,
It is there for each and every one of you....