[Elfsea] Pennsic

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Aug 8 12:09:49 PDT 2003

Things are good here. The temperatures are running at the low to mid
80's with 95% humidity for the highs and in the low 60's for the lows.
The place is filling up after a slow start. Fortunately, the Chirurgeon
shifts have been mostly slow also. We did have a hazardous waste spill
that caused some of the staff Chirurgeons to suit up in yellow suits and
go through all the protocols.

Most of the problems we see are drinking related - and we only get
called for the worst of those. But we have seen an arrow fletching go
through the finger of one lady, a variety of splinters, multiple tent
stake injuries, and a few others.

Unfortunately, we have seen several young children with elevated
temperature, headaches, abdominal cramps and other symptoms. These are
all dehydrations and they were in the care of babysitters who just did
not give them enough water during days when they were sweating it away.
Many of the adults also are getting dehydrated. Though they are
reasonably well liked, Waterbearers are not treated as well here as in
Ansteorra - maybe the difference in average temperatures.

The Chirurgeon's point has a new permanent building now and it looks
like a very nice field hospital. They have a fairly complete inventory,
4 cots, paging systems, private VHF radios, nice jump bags, and more. It
even has a break room (though that is really a tent adjacent to the
building. We have our own trailer with air conditioning and showers to
clean up and cool down patients, though the rest of the facilities are
not air conditioned.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede
Kingdom Chirurgeon, Ansteorra