[Elfsea] Iolo's Story

giles nemeton blakrose at swbell.net
Sun Aug 10 13:44:07 PDT 2003

I have gone over the pennsic rules and see where the
problem occurs----if Iolo was letting people try out
his weapons at his booth--then he would be in
violation of Rule 14 which restricts weapons to
specific sites set aside for them.

on taking another look at this years fee schedule i
would have to raise my estimate of the profits from
Pennsic

If 12,000 attend then the gate would be $1,500,000
---if the Coopers are still getting 40% of gate then
they would get $600,000, that plus their vending
enterprises would gross them about $1,000,000 for two
weeks of their time...

Please understand I have never been involved with the
planning and execution of Pennsic, but I have been
involved with events up to Baronial and Kingdom level.
One event that I designed is still being held in
Meriedies after more than 18 years. I do not claim
that it is still being held because I designed it so
well....it is being held because of the people
involved and dedicated working their asses off getting
it done. I mention this to make the point that I am
not unexperienced at large events.

I guess the point i was trying to make was this....i
have heard a lot of grumbling over the years about the
Coopers seeming to be arbitrary and high prices at
Pennsic.

The SCA is what YOU make it.  Look into it, if you
dont like the prices you pay investigate the reasons
behind them. Find out about alternatives. KNOW the
rules and consequences.

cian