[Elfsea] Fighter shield question

Estella Flather eflather at flash.net
Tue Dec 16 18:27:08 PST 2003

Greetings from Centurion Stella-
    I use a flat rectangular shield which is 24 by 36 inches. This resembles a Celtic scuta. My most durable shields have been made of "Baltic birch" or "Arctic birch". A 1/4 inch thick board has 5 layers, a 3/8 inch thick board has 7 layers. I use aluminum u-channel on all the edges to protect the wood from splitting. The u-channel needs to be covered with hose or leather to keep it from damaging your oponents swords. I attach the edging by drilling small holes every two inches and lashing the edging on with waxed cord.
    I like the wooden shield because it is more like what a fighter of my time would have used. However, lots of people do prefer a metal shield as they last for a long time.
    In service, HE Stella