[Elfsea] Questions that need to be asked...

willow Taylor willowjonbardc at juno.com
Tue Jul 8 19:28:16 PDT 2003

Dear Potential Barone/ess

How would deal with these problems? I think these are more serious than
the Cantons. Most of the people I talked to were from Steppes and Elfsea
area.

In the last year I have been approached by many members of the
population. As nobles we are a valid pathway for complaints. It started
with artisans . Not your top 10%, going to be a Laurel someday, but your
everyday artisan. They were complaining that nobody was doing anything
for them any more. They said that in the past the kingdom helped everyone
learn and get better and people were given reinforcement for their
accomplishments. In the past years this had changed and now only the best
artisan were given any attention. They complained that all the artistic
attention was being given to high power competitions.

I then started giving reports that the autocrats in my local area were
have problems getting workers. I went to the people I knew used to be
worker and traditionally recruited workers. They told me that they were
not getting recognized, there were not many fun activity for them and
there were a lot of stand offish people in the SCA who thought they were
too good for these individuals. They said that a lot of the things they
enjoyed were not fun any more. When they went to Art activities the
really good artisans made them feel like second class citizen. There were
no performers coming around performing for them. They also stated that
the nobles and peers were no  longer walking around giving encouragement.
They said that they had lost their sense of community. In a nut shell
they were not happy and they were not going to work and they were going
to advise people not to work.

I also got a lot of reports that the values of courtesy and graciousness
were dying out. The people said that people were being rude and snide.
They claimed that people were walking around with their noses in the air.
They flat out told me that I (as a noble) was not working hard enough to
fix the problem. They blamed the knights and Laurels for not teaching
their squires and apprentices. They blamed not having a mentor system.
They stated that the older people were not being leaders.

As leaders of a Barony how would you address these problems?

Duchess Willow de Wisp