[Elfsea] Re: Nine Worthies

willow Taylor willowjonbardc at juno.com
Mon Jul 21 18:51:14 PDT 2003

Where did you get this list?? Is It period?

The two list I have are different. The Marchese Tommaso II of Saluzzo
list a bunch of Amazons.  Jacques Iverny painted  This list in 15th
century.
Semiramis, Lampheto, Marpasia, Synoppe, Thamiris, Menalippe, Hippolyta,
Orithyia,  and Penthesilea

The other list I have is from a late 16th century Heraldry book
       Deborah, Judith, Jael (Jewish)
       Minerva, Semiramis, Thamiris (Classical)
       Matilda of England, Joanna of Naples, Isabel of Spain (Christian)

Willow