[Elfsea] My "ideal" Baron & Baroness of Elfsea are:

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 17:23:12 PDT 2003

Dear Lady Elysandre,

I am a ring-thegn to House Mountain-Gate and was mentored by Mistress Tessa.
I'm glad to have someone else who soaked up her great and gentle wisdom
residing within the fair Barony of Elfsea.

What one of the most important things that any group, society, family, or
community must have is a psychologically SAFE environment.  We must all feel
like we can express ourselves and ask our questions without the fear of
rejection or reprisal.

This is a PARAMOUNT issue in most SCA groups and has to be maintained by the
leadership of the group.  If the people fear or resent their leaders,
whether they are Nobles, Peers, or officers, they will not believe that they
are part of this community, this family we have.  We must all feel SAFE
before we can take ownership of this community.

Even leaders need to feel SAFE.  Yes, I'm shouting, because I feel that
often our Nobles, Peers and officers feel like targets for someone else to
come and take a potshot at.

Ask yourself, when was the last time you thanked one of these leaders for
their hard work?  Do you think that a brass hat, a white belt, a pretty
scroll is enough?  They are merely symbols- albeit powerful ones- that
represent someone's thanks for hard work, skill, or talent.

Each and every person in the group can affirm and appreciate each other,
whether they are in the kitchen washing dishes, sitting troll throughout the
night, spending hours going to a peerage circles, or on the phone for four
hours a night dealing with a Crown or the populace on an "issue".

We all have gifts to bring to the table, but we will only bring it if we
feel SAFE and appreciated. Everyone has value.

Thank you for your wisdom Lady Elysandre  .

In Service,

Despotissa Xene Theriane, OL, OP